Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a system to screen calls... plus... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixodid

Technical User
Dec 5, 2008
US

My objective is to not be bothered with unwanted calls (including not having the phone ring) but still have calls ring through I do
want to receive.

I'm self-employed and I work from home. I have two landlines.

I envision a system that will do the following (I realize some details of the items below may be mutually exclusive and certain items are not mandatory):

1) Plays a SIT tone so that automated calls remove my number from their database

2) Requires the caller to input a key to verify they're human - all other calls are disconnected

3) Announcing to humans that get through that I accept no solicitation, canvassing, surveys, political announcements, Elbonians, etc.

4) Instructs the caller to input a key if the call is urgent (allowing the phone to actually ring), otherwise leave a message

5) Allows my phone to ring only after all of the above has occurred

6) Has a function that generates a distinct ring for each household member based on the caller's input

7) Allows frequent callers (family, friends) to input a simple two or three digit code to bypass the above screening process

So, does the hardware and software exist that will do what I describe? I don't know much about PBXs, but I was told that a PBX or virtual PBX would achieve most of my desired functions.

Thank you for you time.

I tell you what, simply set up a premium rate VoIP number that you use for giving out to marketing / sales / online shopping sites. Use it everywhere other than friends and family.

If the marketing companies are silly enough to ring it, then you get paid for it. Keep them on the phone. The longer they spout their crap the more you get paid! :)

Its a way to make a few extra bucks and far less draconian than your list of requirements! :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

TouchToneTommy said:
Is there a budget?

At the moment the budget is low - but soon I will have enough to spend a fair amount to maintain my privacy, peace, and sanity.

Even though my list of requirements has been called "Draconian" (which I'm not disputing), I would think with today's technology that there would be a way to achieve what I want - if not from an off-the-shelf product, at least from moderate or fairly reasonable customization and combination of existing technology.

Who is the carrier? Verizon? They can most likely implement something at the CO for your needs. Speak with a sales rep. Not possitive, though. Thanks.

Always look out for the next guy because it may be you!

asterix pbx will do this best of all its free

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Wow! That is awesome, Monty. How do they do it for free? Thanks.

Always look out for the next guy because it may be you!

Am EMetrotel UCx20 box would do the job quite nicely. Asterisk based, small and inexpensive.

asterisk is open source you could drop an analogue line put sip trunks on the other with a adsl connection , get a raspberry pie install asterisk on that and that's that , have it at home works well.

(lots of providers out there.)

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

why pay for asterisk if you can get it free?

ddcommllc.com
Avaya/Toshiba/SyntelSolutions

ACIS

"Will work for stars

Low budget" does not answer or help.

What is the actual budget? without it is a simple guessing game and waste of posting time.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

"Low budget" does not answer or help.

I realize "low budget" is not specific. That's because I don't have any idea how much this would cost. I have no idea whether it would be $100 or $1000 or $3000.

For instance, if my options range from $100 to $1000, I'd likely go for the lower end of the range unless the $100 won't do what I want - then I'll wait until I can afford the higher price option.

..it is a simple guessing game and waste of posting time.

Waste of time for whom? The posts have been very helpful for me and I appreciate the time and expertise of those who have contributed.

Thank you.

The eMetrotel UCx20 is what you want. Of the 7 requirements, only #1 might be a bit of a problem but I'll bet we can figure how to do it. The rest are easy.

Give them a call. They are very helpful and will answer all your questions and put you in touch with a local reseller. My guess is the price will be in the $1500 range......but don't quote me on that.

You could also post your requirements on the E-MetroTel UCX forum in here.

What I mean is if you set a budget then people can post what might be right for you....that's why 2 of us asked.
No sense doing up a post recommending something out of your budget as it would be a waste of time in other words.
This morning I did up a post that answered all your requests (turns out it was out of your budget) I realized in time before posting I should have asked your budget first.
This time I will just say all 7 can be done ......this goes for almost any system out there.

You have answered the question, a $1000.00 is your "budget", this means what you are will to pay at most.

$100.00 will pay for one digital phone only and why I suggest to go refurbished to try and get it under 1k.
IP/Voip sets will go for $150 and up and I am guessing the system for $1000 and up not to mention switches/routers and power supplies.

Lets say you can buy used digital sets for $50 each and you need 5 (you did not mention how many required), KSU (system) for $200 and voice mail for $100.
We are at $550.00
Now you need an installer whom knows the wiring and the programming - $550.00 based on all wiring (jacks in the house) completed and you dont ask the tech a hundred questions.
$1100 is near you budget but expect to maybe pay a little more as you may want a door phone or ATA for cordless or fax etc.
Suggest you also get admin training for an hour so that you can make some of the changes on your own and learn the rest as need via manuals.

If you buy USED from Ebay etc dont always expect a clean phone, a working phone (or system and mail) or a warranty.
Expect all 3 when you buy a "Refurbished" from a vendor".

I would say a refurbished digital system under $1000.00 installed could be done or wait and pay for voip $2500.00 later.

Since all systems are very close to being equal it's what you think might work best or look pretty lol so ask questions when looking at a particular system.

Asterisk maybe free but not as robust on features or GUI experience, also as mentioned you need a dedicated PC with a Sangoma card, a Network Switch (maybe with POE) and IP sets.

My prime is Norstar but have dabbled with Asterisk, Succession/M1, NEC, Lucent Partner, IP office etc but my opinion is any system will do 6 or 7 of your requests be it a work around or not.

Something for the low budget to ponder (if they are still low in price):
Built in AA/voice mail, wireless, installs in seconds.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

You have answered the question, a $1000.00 is your "budget", this means what you are will to pay at most.

Sorry for not being clear - that was just an example as I had no idea how much this would all cost. In the next 5 months, the budget will be pretty much whatever it takes (though I don't want to spend for bells and whistles I don't need).

Thank you, curlycord and everyone else, this is a great help and I do appreciate it!

most systems will do what you want... id just watch some demo videos and see what you like

ddcommllc.com
syntelsolutions.com
Avaya/Toshiba/SyntelSolutions

ACIS

"Will work for stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back