Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a small office networking solution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipVought

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
US
This is a small office with 2 PCs running Windows 98 (actually expanding 100% -- from 1 PC to 2!)

I still need to find out what their growth plan is, but for the next year or 2 they will most likey be running 2 PCs.

What options do they have for networking -- pros & cons, relative cost, maintenance, expandability, security etc.

Thanx!

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

What applications? What do they want to share?
I prefer Lantastic for ease of use but MS networking is already built into the OS. Depending on how you go, 2 cards and 45 minutes and it is networked.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Unless they want to purchase a computer to be a server (and only serve that function) then they you can set them up on a Windows domain...of course this is probably overkill for what they need. I would recommend however upgrading to W2K or XP as they currently have no security for file access...you would need to install NTFS in order to have user-level security for files and folders. Of course, even then it would only be as secure as the machines physically are! I recently set up a small in-home business network for someone that had 4 machines, all Windows 2000. I did not use Active Directory as I did not have W2K Server on the server machine, just W2K (financial constraints)
Anyway, the setup was as such:
1 10/100 switch w/8 ports

1 UPS with auto-shutdown feature, used by all 4 machines

NTFS installed on all machines with user accounts created for each user

User-level access granted to shares/folders through NTFS

1 computer used as "server" meaning not used for anything but file storage and access (but no authentication other than NTFS)

This setup is very low security but also very low cost.
If you can, put W2K Server on the server machine and use AD for true security (*microsoft style)

I hope that this helps...

Cheers,
Matthew

Matthew Janes

Everything in its right place...

AS Edfair says, simple job.

All you will need is 2 Network cards, a CAT5 crossover cable and you are good to go. This will allow you to share files between the PC's.

Cross over cables are a great idea but have zero expandability (adding more machines is NOT an option with crossover)

-just a note-

Matthew Janes

Well, I wasn't even thinking crossover. Network starter kit with 2 dual media NICs and co-ax included.

But defineitely peer to peer and no server.

Internet sharing adds a little to do it right. But that wasn't included in the original question.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

EdFair,

No, you didn't mention crossover, but the post after yours did ;) I suppose I should direct my response to a specific individual instead of mulling over all posts in the thread in a single response.
As for the seperate server (not necessarily running Server OS) machine, I would recommend this only if the data being stored is highly valued. Reason - the more you "mess" with a machine (i.e. USE it) the more chance you have of hosing the thing. I have seen people set up on a two computer environment with a crossover, and one computer will run updates or install software or whatever and take the plunge, losing data. It is generally NOT a good idea to use a storage or server machine as a workhorse. That's the point I was trying to drive home. It is best to have one machine dedicated to storage...but only if your data is important - Also you can use a tape backup in a crossover environment, just as long as you can stand to lose all data since last backup if your system is hosed through "everyday" use.

:)
Matthew

Matthew Janes

Make sure you have Windows 98 Second Edition. There are so many different ways to do this you should pick one that suits your business needs and desires

----------
cheapest way: You can run a single network cord between the 2 machines for now, but I'd buy a little hub/switch which will allow for easy expanding.

Here's an 8-port switch for $20 after shipping!

and if you dont have network cards in your machine: $7 each after shipping!

Set up a windows network with file and printer sharing, and if youre going to use the internet, 1 connection to 1 computer (whether dial-up, DSL, cable, whatever) can be shared from the connected computer to all the others with the built in Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Walk-throughs on how to do this (setting up IP addresses, workgroups, protocols, file sharing, ICS, etc.) are all over the internet.

downfalls: the main computer that connects to the internet must be turned on in order for the others to be online. And if you eventually get alot of users online, the internet may bog down a bit being fed through 1 machine.

total cost for 2 machines if you need cards and get a switch, about $50 (cant forget the CAT5 Network cable).
--------

If you have a broadband connecion, you could spend a few more bucks and use a router for a more efficient way of distributing your internet connection. and you dont have to have one main computer turned on in order for the others to have internet access. the internet feeds into the router, then goes out to each machine.

8 port router after shipping: $55.50

total cost for your setup would end up being about $90
------
Or you could make your network completely wireless (most expensive, but you dont have to run wires everywhere)! or you could have some wireless and some wired with the same router below( my recommendation)...

Wireless adapters: $43 each after shipping

4-port switch/Wireless router: $59 after shipping

total cost for completely wireless with 2 machines: $145

------
this is the hardware part. explaining how to set it up would take up too much space (as if this didnt). Do a little google search and surly you can find a site that tells how to set up windows for networking, or maybe someone here can recommend one. i'm too tired to look now...hardware is the first step though! each of these setups can share printers, files, and internet connection. And I made sure to find name brand hardware cause it does make a difference when it comes to networking (like dlink and netgear). good luck

Hi,

Thanks for the respeonses -- I'll check each one out. I have been out of the office and will be for most of ther afternoon.

As far as I know, the only sharing will be with MS Office applications and Peachtree.

Skip,

i ate lunch and came back refreshed, so i felt like finding a webpage for you....

this explains the basics with diagrams pretty well. just go through the article with the next page button to find file sharing, printer sharing, and a little internet conneciton sharing. it doesnt resolve problems you may run into though, so dont be afraid to ask!

Hey crazy, you have been very helpful and persistant. I just got in after an appointment and doing some looking at Fry's & CompUSA.

I think that I might suggest a 4-port wireless router (11 mbps) but run a cable for the other PC. There are also 4 salesmen that have laptops and they could use notebook adapters

Skip,

ed fair,

"I prefer Lantastic for ease of use but MS networking is already built into the OS"

Time to rethink this one.

I have not seen a new build PC without an Ethernet adapter for "free" in a while.

And peer-2-peer under Windows does work; and w/100-full on both sides, file and printer sharing, and a reasonable GUI, the Lantastic product both hardware and software is an anachronism; (I am not intending to offend its devotees).

It seems to me too stubborn an attitude to not bite the bullet and learn to use native Windows Networking or MAC networking for small sites anymore.

Best wishes.
Bill

Oh, I do. I can go into other machines either way. But I can get access to anything from DOS when I'm in native DOS, and that counts for a little.

If you follow the dropped network problems that show up here, and they are many, you can appreciate the simplicity and reliability that I have.

As my middle kid says, (network guy for about 10 years), "they don't teach Lantastic in any of the schools so expect it to be the red-headed stepchild".

And I don't knock the MS solution. It feeds me better than the Lantastic. But that is the customer's problem, not mine.

Ed Fair

Aye Mathew but appreciate that he said he was expanding from 1 to 2 machines, not 1 to 20.

Also, this method wouldn't result in redundant equipment should he decide to add even more machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back