Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a Script!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyGod

MIS
May 6, 2005
US
Can anyone tell me where i can find a script to disconnect users from a shared file on a Windows 2003 server? Basically I am going into the server manually everyday and disconnecting any users that are connected to this shared file. Can anyone help?

Thanks

You might want to describe your situation a little more.

Is it like some office file that people open then don't close?

Sorry about the lack of description. It is an Access database that about 15 users log into yet they don't log out of properly, therefore locking their sessions when they try to open the file the next day. The users just close Access without logging out of it. We are moving the database to a SQL server but not for about 5 weeks. This is a daily occurrence even though the users have been told repeatedly to log out properly. I am looking for a script to close this file at the end of the day instead of having to go in manually and view who is connected to the file and disconnect them.
Any help would be appreciated!

You could use the Net Use command to restart the sever service overnight this would disconnect everyone. This could cause problems if anyone needs to remain connected overnight though. It might work as a temp solution though.

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

That would work but this server is monitored by HP OpenView. It will send an alert the the on-call pager. ANy other ideas?

It's been a long time since I really messed with access. However can't you disable the ability for the users to X out of the program in theory leaving them only the option to log off properly (assuming they don't try to end task it). I use a mainframe emulator where we have a similar issue.I had to edit the registry of the machines to not allow them to close the program in any other way but to logout.

Hope I at least gave you another option. Nobody likes getting paged =)

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back