Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a recondmendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfawilbel

Technical User
Jan 13, 2007
GB
I would like someone to recommend a Point of Sale system for me. Our company operates a small grocery that deal with both wholesale and retail. We experience sales between 1 and 2 millions dollars a year. At present we have two cashiers using dumb/traditional cash register. We do not have any computerized systems in place and this would be the first.

The point of ale that we are looking for should handle grocery items good. We also would like the system to handle both wholesale and retails sales.

Thank you

It's not just about the software, it also about the dealer. If you pick a product and don't get along with guy who installs it what's the point.

Ask for a demonstration of the product, request references,not only about the software but the hardware as well. Ask about warranties and how much a service call costs, because no matter how well you treat the equipment you'll eventually need one.

You might find Aspex POS will suit your needs well. The handling of items for sale is very generic and will adapt to retail or grocery.
Feel free to email me if you have more questions: rob dot w at aspexpos dot com

Good luck with your new system.
More advice on your shopping:
What does it cost to change credit card processors?
Does the POS dealer take a kick back (resicual or bonus) form the credit card processor?
What services are included in a service agreement/contract?
What is response time for service? Down system? During what hours?
Are warranties provided by the manufacturer? or Dealer? Hardware and Software warranties?
How much on-site installation and training is included in the purchase. ON SITE is very important for an existing business.
How many other dealers can support your new system in your local area?

If you are in South Africa, I will recommend Precise POS. You do not get any other program with such accurate Cost of Sale capability. Major trading centers and even Spar themselves uses it.

I forgot to mention that Precise POS is a Integrated Bookkeeping System, and specializes in Shareholders.

I tried searching the Web but I end up on a Microsoft site ?!?

You can also try GNUcash

Take a look at the refub market... low cost and you can buy the hardware at a reasonable cost. The maintanance company is going to be taking care of you anyways. A complete system will be very expensive vs. the refurb market. You can get refurbed printers for half the cost. POSRG.com check it out.

I would look into software that ran on more formal equipment like IBM or NCR hardware. I totally agree with shopping the used market. Don't let someone sell you something that was designed for a table restaurant or a night club. I see that all too much!

Are you looking for multistore control (share inventory between stores) or is this just a single store? Would you like to check your daily sales online?

POS systems can get very elaborate very quickly. If you want something until 5k (including hardware) most software will be similiar in its feautures. Once you get past that price point, your looking into semi-customized software terrority. If you need very basic feautures, it might just be easier getting an off the shelf solution.

And don't forget worst case scenario/disaster planning.

If you are going to have multiple terminals with a backend server, you have a greater tolerance for downtime on any particular terminal.

If you are a single terminal site like us - then the ability of the vendor/dealer to slap a fully functioning replacement system down at your location within a couple of hours becomes more critical and eliminates some low cost options. This is our situation and I'm reasonably confident that our local dealer's professed commitment to this level of service is sincere, and that they have the technical and logistical resources to fulfill it.

Make sure that you fully understand what to expect from the the dealer when - not if - everthing goes sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back