Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a Project Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

linhawaii

Technical User
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello all,
I am the IT Manager for a Cabinet Manufacturing company in Orange County CA (Anaheim to be exact)....We currently use Project 2000 to schedule our customer installations.

We know that we probably aren't using MS Project to it's full potential and we are trying to find a consultant/developer for Project in our area who could come to our company and make some recommendations and help us implement Project 2003, and maybe even the Enterprise version. We just don't know what our options are at this point.

Could someone recommend where we can find some help?

Thanks in advance...

I have a partner who has the background and experience that you are looking for. The difficulty in putting the two of you together is that this site scrubs messages with anything other than postal addresses. You could try sending a message to me by taking my name and appending 2005 and then sending the message to me at the free service whose name begins with a "Y".

I suggest being careful jumping into a complex tool such as MSProject Server without some careful thought and planning, as well as an expert who has YOUR best interests in mind.

I am a Project Management Consultant who has helped several clients install and implement MSProject Server, and I've seen many of them struggle with it because they weren't READY for it.

When a company wants to get better at Project Management, it is best to first identify WHY they want to do this, as well as how far they want to climb up the PM maturity ladder. A company shouldn't make the large investment in getting better at PM just for the sake of it... they should take carefully planned steps in order to end up in a situation where they are realizing some true value from their investment.

Once you've identified WHY, you then need to identify HOW. I STRONGLY recommend that you ensure that you have strong Project Management fundamentals in place before considering making the investment into an advanced PM system such as MSProject Server. If you try to jump into something like this, then you WILL struggle and become very frustrated.

I have a detailed roadmap that describes how an organization can begin to climb up that PM maturity ladder, while reaping some tangible benefits along the way. Let me know if you'd like to learn more.

Good Luck!

Bill
----------
Got MSProject Questions?
Visit Real-Time Help for Microsoft Project
----------

Bill
I read with interest your post regarding MSP2003 Project Server. You mention a roadmap which you have developed. I am a planner with a small to medium size company who will need to address the very factors discussed sooner rather than later. Would it be possible for you to send me some details of this roadmap. I can arrange to get you a copy of my email address if this will assist
Thanks & Best Regards
Chris Vincent

cosmicchris:

I would love to share my roadmap with you!

At a high level, the roadmap involves first establishing some good, fundamental Project Managment practices within the organization, then layering some basic tool usage (i.e. MSProject) on top. Starting with a sophisticated tool such as MSProject Server without a good understanding of Project Management is like running out to the Home Depot, buying thousands of dollars worth of tools, and suddenly expecting to be able to build a 5,000 square foot home.

Once the fundamentals (processes and tools) are well established, then you should identify some short-term and long-term goals (project time tracking, project prioritization, project reporting, resource workload management, etc.) and implement each of these initiatives one step at a time.

If you would like more details, or if you would like some assistance with how to take the next step, then I would like to contact you via email.

Hope this helps!

Bill
----------
Got MSProject Questions?
Visit Real-Time Help for Microsoft Project
----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back