Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a Power Supply for Car Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
search for "inverter" on the Internet.

Good Luck,
Engin

If in UK I bought one from Maplin Electronics

Type inverter as previously mentioned, then there is 150W or 300W inverter

Its the same model as mine, it connects up to Cig lighter socket or to battery

Jamie

Computer power supplies work on AC input, so you'd have to have an inverter to convert 12v DC to AC.

Jim

Out of curiosity what is the reason for the DC inverter?

Are there any advantages?

The AC converter can connect straight to the battery or cig lighter

DC would do exactly the same but would miss out the kettle plug power cable I would have thought

Wouldn't it be more expensive to go DC?

Cheers

Jamie

I would like to have an idea of the 12V PS solutions (not inverters) described on this thread. The sites do not have it offhand.

jdunderhill, I think there is a mix-up of terminology. DC inverters produce AC output. AC converters convert AC. Cigarette lighters supply DC. Whatever the name, the solution I porposed was a device which took DC as input and produced AC at the output.

Engin

What you're looking for is a DC to DC converter... The main problems a device like this has are,

(a) providing a suitably stable high current 5 volt supply.

(b) providing voltage stabilisation of the 12 volt line albeit at slightly less current than the 5 volt supply.

Remember that vehicle battery voltage fluctuates from less than 12v upto nearly 15v fully charged. The other computer voltages are more easily obtained from the converter because they are at much lower current levels.

On top of all this, the voltage lines must be suppressed to take out voltage spikes and interference from the vehicle's own electrical equipment, e.g. relays, microprocessors, ignition circuits etc.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back