Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a new modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimc35

Technical User
Jun 16, 2009
US
What type of dial up modem works well with Nortel 81c to dial in remotely. I have a usr sportster but you can't interface the switch with newer pc's or laptops I had to use older pc's.

Never had a problem with any sportster. Why can't you use newer PC or laptop?

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

I can dial in to the modem but I cant interface with the switch. I dialed into another Nortel switch that we maintain with the same laptop and I can log in fine. I checked their tty settings to mine and they were identical. This leaves me to believe it is the modem at the switch end. What brand of mode are you using. Are Motorola's good?

When you dial in and cannot interface what happens?

Could that tty port be disabled?

is there an AB switch that could be in the wrong place?

It could be the modem, but there are other things to check first before going out and buying one.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

I have tried everything. I have looked at my tty ports, there are no A/B switch involved either. I have two laptops that I currently use at my office. One is a Dell vostro which is my company laptop for all my reports and documents. I can dial in and access the switch but I cannot log in or type any commands. My other laptop is an old gateway that is mine and I can dial into the switch and I can log in. Now on one of the other sites we maintain I was able to log into their switch using my Dell. This is were I think it is my modem to the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back