Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a Mask for Colorizing B & W

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMax

Technical User
Sep 14, 2003
US
Crew...

Putting together a band group photo for CD promotional purposes (my CD is about to be released!)...each band member having their own set of layers. One of the members' photo image is in B & W...so I wanted to add a flesh tone to make him look real (& be uniform in appearance w/ the other members...whose photo images are all in color.)

I'm on a transparent background...so I need to make the fill color layer obviously the same shape & size as his head, so it doesn't bleed out into the transparent background. His two layers consist of his head & his shirt. On the shirt layer...I've already painstakingly traced the outline with the lasso tool, inverted it; & deleted everything but that color filled selection in a layer behind his shirt...reduced the transparency of his B & W shirt layer 'till it looked real; & all was fine.

But that's a pain in the butt !!!

Is there some way (Photoshop 6) to create a selection based on the exact shape & size of his head (on that layer); & transfer it to a color layer for the above type of processing?

The head (& the shirt) were traced & cut from original photos...so they're only the perfect shape/size of the subject, w/ no background.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks,

Sonic Max

...selections are the key to photoshop in combination with layer masks, adjustment layers and blending modes...

andrew

Thanks,

So...

There's no way to isolate a section on a different layer except using the lasso?

Sonic Max

If you're more comfortable using the paintbrush tool, you can "paint" a selection in Quick Mask mode.

...no there are many ways to create a selection, some are better than others depending on your subject that needs selecting...

...if your image is on a transparent backgound, hold down the apple key or control key on a pc and then click on your layers icon, this will select around the object...

...you can also make selections from colour channels...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back