Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a How to do Setup of Home Network ?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

magneto77

Programmer
Aug 18, 2003
AU
Hello, everyone

I have got a latest (main)desktop PC, a notebook, and semi-old Celeron, which I want to hook up to my (main) comp.

i am getting DSL Cable Modem Internet, and wat I wanted to know is after my (main) comp is hooked to the net,

wat do I need to buy in-terms of Hardware, eg. Hub and Cabling to Hook-up the Celeron Computer and Notebook,

Can any provide some guide on wat to do, here??

I dun want to go Wireless at the moment, coz of all the technical and setup issues,

look forward to some feedback & thank you for reading,

Sanjay
srk7777@yahoo.com
sparekhk@hotmail.com

You buy a now inexpensive wired broadband (cable/dsl) router from Linksys, D-link, Netgear, SMC or others based essentially on price and market share. This would mean Linksys or D-link. Under US $30.

You buy appropriately sized cables to connect to the router from each workstation. (Approx. US .75/foot)

You connect the broadband modem to the WAN port of the router, connect, to start with, one PC wired to the new router, and read carefully the manual.

You should be good to go.

Hey, bcastner (IS/IT--Manageme)

I am from Australia, just kinda new to the networking side of technology, though I have read up about it and studied mainly software related issues.

Thank you for your explanations, was clear and on the dot.

Appreciated your help for sure,

Thank you,

Sanjay

While alternatives to a hardware broadband router exist, they are decidedly ugly.

Thank you for your kind comments. I love Aussies and NZ'ers as well. But I want the "Cup" back where it belongs.

Once you get this equipment hooked up to broadband make sure all pc's have AV and a firewall installed , you are fair game for the hackers that seem to be very busy lately trying to disrupt everyone . There is free AV and firewall programs available on the net .

Thanks to you guys in-regards to the questions I posted,

I just wanted to clarify, as to the cables that I will be using.

will the RED-Cross-Over be the one or do I need to buy some other sort of cable for the connections.

I have got a AV that I bought locally, but interms of the Firewall, I am planning to getting Zone-Alarm from a friend.

Are there any other better Firewalls you'd recommend.

ok then, will be in touch for sure, via this Board,
if there is anything I can be asked of, let me know

cheers,
sanjay

Use straight-through cables, not cross-over.

You said you have a notebook, I would look at the 802.11b or G wireless routers thay all have hubs-swtchs 3 or 4 ports for hard wired PC's and you can do wireless with the notebook. Wireless will add at lest $20-$30 dollors US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back