Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a good network monitoring software 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes999

MIS
Oct 17, 2000
US
I am in a dire and an immidiate need of a good network performance monitor; we have a reasonably complicated MAN (several hundred LANs - town infrastructure), need to be able to:
- monitor performances/bottlenecks from a single location accross routers;
- have an easy readable grafic interface;
- run in Wintel (W2K preferrable);
- being able to read Cisco and non-Cisco switches, routers and Netware and Windows servers;
- have extended alert/notification features;
- optional - have some reliable network topology discovery tool.

The project shall take off shortly, and I have to come up with something, besides the HP OpenView or CiscoWorks.

Insofar, I have testeed IPMonitor, LanMapShot and NetInspector by Fluke, and LANDesk by Intel - neither one seems promising enough.

All responses will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

M.S.

Try Solarwinds. It is capable of monitoring, alerting, mapping, discovering, auditing, uploading/downloading your Cisco config and other functions as well. It does most of this via SNMP.

I have the Engineer Edition. You can download and try for 30 days. With maint & support it's $1000.00

Also, I just purchased (May of this year) a Sniffer Distributed Pro. It was 11K and change. It is the rack mounted device, not the portable, and really is a great tool. I have now discovered things I never knew were going on.

Also, I have Openview, and it might be a great tool, but it is a bit like driving the space shuttle to get a gallon of milk. It gets the job done but it is a bit of overkill for what I need.

With Solarwinds, if you want to see the route table or arp cache or interface(s) of a particular router, enter the IP, and then expand the appropriate tree. You are three clicks away from all that information. With OpenView, it is a bit more convoluted.

Anyhow, if you have 20K to spend, Solarwinds and Sniffer, and you are under budget.

Fluke's Network Inspector works great for switches just make sure they are manageable (snmp). SolarWinds (Engineer Edition) for the price does a good job with switches (also has lots of other small, but useful tools)again make sure the switches are managable (snmp).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back