Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a good book for a moron

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDNFLNC

Technical User
May 30, 2002
US
Hey all...

I am extremely proficient with HTML, and pretty good with CSS too...but I can't seem to pick up things like advanced JavaScript or PHP or XML.

I really would like to learn some XML. I learn better in class than by books, but don't have the opportunity.

Can someone recommend a book or two that might be easire to learn from?

I like the books from alot, they seem to fit my learning style. Something similar would be great!

Thanks. -----------------------------------------------
These are endless galaxies which are yours.
You can journey to infinity
through the endless passages of the cosmos.
Even better. This all belongs to you.
This is your mind.

The book I used to get started was "XML Bible" by Elliotte Rusty Harold, from IDG Books. It is a good starting book, but I suggest looking at these sites before purchasing any book.

&

both are extremely helpful sites and in retrospect I could've probably saved $50 . :) hope that helps.

You'll find some books here::

I tried the one from Wrox, XML Professional but its a bit heavy.

Starting off i'd recommend XML by Example
Its not the best book by any means but it's not a bad place to start.

Here's a review with some other links::

Todays my first TT birthday!! Wuhuu!!

:: ::

BDNFLNC,

for books I like the wrox series on xml and javascript.

for javascript
Beginning Javascript by Paul Wilton

for xml--I would start with the first book and work down the list:
Beginning XML 2nd Edition by Jonathan Pinnock et al
Beginning XSLT by Jeni Tennison
Professional XML 2nd Edition Jonathan Pinnock et al
Professional XSL Andrew Watt et al
Professional XML Schemas Stephen Mohr et al

you should look at Transformations and Schemas

Aaron

I've been bought a copy of "Practical XML for the web" from glasshaus which came out last month, i think. What I really like about it is that it doesn't talk a lot of theory, nor does it bang on about what may be true in 2 years if only the w3c approve this or that standard, it just tells you what you can do now. I'm particularly interested in delivering lots of information to the browswer in XML and manipulating it with JavaScript before sending it back to the server and hadn't really gor a handle on how to do that before.

Plus, I thought the cover was really cool,

I just have to echo what's been said earlier. The XML Bible was where I learned XML as well. The Wrox books are great, but definitely not for a beginner. It's scary, but now I think I have over 20 books just on XML. At some point, though, you really will need to pick up some true scripting languages such as PHP, Python, or ASP. Learning XML, and then XSL first will help a lot in making that transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back