Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a Good Beginner Oracle Install/Manage Book 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBates

MIS
Feb 27, 2000
US
hi everyone,

I'm a SQL Server DBA, recently assigned the task of installing Oracle 10g onto several Windows 2003 servers.

I don't have any specific questions about installing 10g (yet). Can anyone recommend a good book that would bring me up to speed on the aspects of installing/configuring and managing Oracle databases ?

Thanks very much!

John

Hi, John

The first I would recommend would be the Oracle Concepts manual. It is part of the Oracle documentation and is free.

Another would be "Oracle Essentials". It is published by O'Reilly. These should get you started quite nicely.

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

Anything from Oracle Press is good. Beware of those books with the funny looking animals on the cover. Also, find an Oracle DBA who has access to metalink and see if they can send you something. All Oracle CDs have pretty comprehensive instructions in its docs directory.

Take Care.

Thanks for the advice William and D. Moore.

Already, I'm impressed with the quality of the posts I've seen in the Oracle forum.

I do have the docs directory at work and was able to get the client tools and database component installed on the server yesterday, taking the default settings for the most part.

Off to the bookstore...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back