Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a good backup program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohjekim

Technical User
Apr 8, 2001
US
I would like to back up my new computer to the second hard drive and have a disaster recovery disk that will restore the C:\ drive in the event of a system crash.

Can someone recommend a good program that is reliable and simple to use.

I have a copy of Dantz Retrospect that came free with my external hard drive but I have tried to use it and it doesn't create a boot CD that will work.

My computer boots fine to the CDROM drive but not to any disk I can make with this program.

It simply makes an .iso file on my hard drive and leaves you hanging. I tried to copy the .iso file to a CD but when I try and boot from the CD it says no operating system available or this device is not ready.

When I looked on the Internet I found only negative comment about this program so I would like to buy something that really works and is idiot proof.

Something that will boot the computer and open the restore software automatically.

Mike

1.acronis true image workstation or server
this can make a bootable cd/dvd to restore your complete system.

2.Norton Ghost.

takes a clone from your harddrive to disk, dvd

rgds,

R.

I use Syncback (freeware) to backup data files to a second internal HDD on my main desktop at home. This approach does mean I'll need to manually reinstall the OS and applications, but with a slipstreamed operating system disk that isn't as painful as it sounds, and does have the advantage of producing a clean build at the end of it all.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Thanks for the Information.

My computer does not have a diskette drive, but boots to the DVD drive.

I looked at the info on using Windows own backup and it does not say if it will give you the opportunity to make a bootable CD of DVD disk it only mentions a diskette.

Does anyone know if it will?

It looks like I would have to go through the whole process to find out.

I'll look into the other products suggested here as well I would like to get this thing backed up soon now that I have everything up and running.

I purchased a new Dell XPS, (my third Dell) and it crashed an hour after I got it going and I had to reinstall everything.

As a result I am a little nervous about it.

To have the last word, in the box where you name your computer I typed in TITANIC.

Mike

ASR backs up to a separate partition, not to the current install of Windows partition. It does not backup to DVD or CD.

You can always copy the backup file from the second partition to a DVD after zipping or compressing them.

When ASR restores it will rely on you to tell it where the file (image) you wish to restore is located via the browse procedure. It will rely on the information from the floppy it produced to tell it which partition to re-install to.

The whole restore procedure is started by booting from your XP CD and pressing "F2" when requested shortly after booting from the CD.

Most third party image programs just create a bootable CD or DVD for you to restore from.

Third party image programs are a lot quicker to restore from than ASR, as ASR has to perform about a third of the XP Setup procedure (including a format and hard drive check) before it actually starts restoring files.

Hi Linney

Thanks for the Info, I think I am going to go with Image for Windows as you suggested. I have downloaded the trial version and am going to give it a go. If I don't have any problems making a backup I will buy it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back