Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need a dual 10/100 router... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluid11

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a fairly inexpensive dual 10/100 router? The cheapest router that I can find is a 2611. I wanted to get a 1700 and then add a 10/100 module, but it looks like you can only add a 10BaseT module. Any ideas or do I have to go with the 2611?

Thanks,
Chris

2611 is only a 10mb router, the 2611XM is a dual 10/100 though...

You need to see what you're going to use it for... Because they aren't capable of actually routing 100Mbit of traffic, their processor isn't that fast..

You could also setup a linux box and do 2 NICs..

BuckWeet

I have a Linux box set up now temporarily, but I want to switch it over to a Cisco implementation.

Chris

what are you doing it for? if its a home application, Cisco makes the 800 series routers for cable/DSL. they are a full cisco router, 4 port switch, and a firewall feature set. you can pick one up for under $1k. your next option might be a 2621. Degg
Network Administrator

Its for a business. We need to put a few servers on a separate subnet. I think we'll just go with the 1710. The 10BaseT isn't that big of a deal, but it would have been nice if we could have gotten a 10/100 module for it.

Thanks for your replies,
Chris

Depends on yer money funds.. Cisco has the 3550 Switches out now. You can get a 24 port 10/100 Layer 3 Capable switch.. That would do what you want it to do, and has much higher performance...

BuckWeet

We actually have a few Cat3500's, but we only use them for switching. Thats a little out of our price range for this small project:)

Chris

It's only the 806 with multiple Ethernets, and even then, it's only a 10/100 4-port hub. I doubt the 1700 series will be around much longer, they're already starting to retire the 2500. A 2600 series is probably for the best, either an XM or a 2691. I know for sure that the 2691 has a 10/100 Ethernet, and more can be bought in the way of Network Modules

Isn't the 2500 series already retired? I thought that the 1700's were fairly new and they were the replacement for the 1600's, who are retired now?

The 806 has 10Mb Ethernet ports, because its meant to be used as a broadband router, so 10Mb is more than enough in that case.

The 2611XM seems to be the cheapest way to go, which isn't cheap enough for this small project:) We're going to go with a 1710 with the dual 10Mb Ethernet ports.

Chris

I could be wrong. I just guessed, given the lower model number. But yes, the 2500 is being retired, and you could very well be right about the 1700.

The 2651 has dual 10/100 ports if it fits in your budget. Mspivey
CCNP

My thoughts thoughts though is that you won't be happy with the performance of a 1720 router... So why not in cost interest just keep the Linux router?? pretty hard to beat its cost.. Could build you a box that could equal the performance of a 26xx router for 100 bucks...

BuckWeet

Because I'm the only one in the company who knows Linux and others need to admin this router. I'm all for it because I need all the Cisco experience I can get. I already know Linux real well.

The reason for this project is because we need a separate segment where we do our "ghosting", which fills the network with multicast packets. This is its primary purpose, but sometimes we need access to other servers on the network. Before the router was up, we were swapping cables between the real network on the Ghosting network, which gets old real quick.

Chris

Another question, what kind of switches do you have??

Do you have Cisco or another brand of manageable switches?? you could setup multicasting support on those and it might help you some.. I'm assuming the problem is that the network gets horribly slow?

BuckWeet

We have Catalyst 3548's and a core 4006. Yes, it kills the network if its not on its own subnet.

Chris

Have you tried setting up IGMP or anything on the switches?? Its been so long since I've worked with multicasting, I'd have to read up on it, but there are some things built into the switch to make multicasting be better..

BuckWeet

I didn't know you could run IGMP on switches, I'll have to look into that. We really want to keep this on a completely separate segment. Its the simplest and most efficient way to do it. I'll probably order the 1710 on Monday. Computers on this segment will do 85% of their work on this segment anyway, so the 10Mb ports aren't that big of a deal.

Thanks,
Chris

Are you able to pick up any gear on Ebay?? You might be able to find like 2621's or something in that nature for the price that you'd pay for a 1720 retail... Also look at this.. How much is a 1720 with the ethernet wic module?? If its only a few hundred cheaper than a 2621, I'd prolly just make the case of getting the 2621 to get the dual 10/100 ports.. or here's another option.. You could get a 2620, and run IP plus software and do a trunk port on your ethernet switches... That way you could run an 802.1q or ISL link to that router, and it can route between vlans on the same port...

BuckWeet

We can get a new 1710 that comes with dual 10Mb Ethernet ports for less than $900. I'll look into the ebay option, but I'd have to find one for less than approximately $1300, and the bid would have to end by Wednesday at the latest.

I'm pretty new to Cisco and you just lost me on that last sentence:) I know Cisco at the CCNA level at this point, but I've been learning a lot lately. I know that trunking on a switch is basically combining two or more ports to double your bandwidth, but I've never heard of it on a router. I haven't learned about 802.1q and ISL yet.

Buckweet, do you have any idea on the answer to my question in this post --> thread557-417196

Combining multiple ports is call etherchannel.. Trunking is the capability to run multiple networks out the same port (multiple VLANs) and to do the multiple network scenario you have to run ISL (Inter-Switch Link or 802.1q) which the ethernet frames get tagged with a VLAN ID.. So when you set the trunk port up on the switch and the router.. You can have both VLAN 1 and VLAN 300 going out that port to the router and it can route between those VLANs... This is sometimes known as router on a stick.. Another thing.. I can't remember what router model you need, but with the 4000 series switch you can use a router in conjuction with the switch to give you MLS (multi layer switching) capabilities... I'm thinking you need a 3600 or older 4000 series router though...

BuckWeet

As for your other post.. I'd have to read up on that, has to be something in there causing the second flash simm to be set a read only...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back