Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a diagnostic program for NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Programmer
May 7, 1998
AM
I am looking for a diagnostic program that will run under NT. Does anyone know of one? I need one that will tell me the CPU usage, memory usage etc. Mostly hardware stuff.

you can use the built in Performance monitor, and chart all the things you listed.

It can be found in

Start:programs:administrative tools:performance monitor

Thank you, I will give that a try.

I hate to sound like a dummy, but I don't understand the reporting of that program. I am not all that technical so I need something like Nuts and Bolts that tells me..."You are using 90% of your ram" "10% is used here, 20% here etc..." Same with the processor, I need to know when I am close to maxing it out and can expect performance degradation. I like the way N&B puts it in simple laymen's terms for non-technical people like me. Any idea of a similar program that will run on NT?

I am not sure of a program like that. There might be something available at Beverly Hills Software. I would try there first.

They have a download section and they might have something more along the lines that you are looking for. Performance Monitor is more of an admin specific thing you use to troubleshoot a specifc problem, rahter than monitor pro-actively.

Scott

Take a look at Norton Utilities 2.0 for NT from Symantec. It has a combo of the Software/Hardware info by may certainly give you what you need.

I will give that a look. Thank you.

I would reccomend against using Norton Utils for NT! My experience has been that NU/NT does one thing, cost $. Look at Task manager, Ctrl-Shift-Esc at the same time brings this up, it gives a quick view of the state of the system. If you want more you should look at getting some help with perfmon, it can provide a lot of info, once you get the proper stuff set up, it's really pretty good.

Kevin

I agree with kflananagan, Task manager gives the memory usage and also allows you to look at the processes that are running and what resources they are using. I would also warn aginst Norton Utilities if you are using Microsoft Exchange as Norton stops Echanges's defrag which leads to further problems.

Thank you for the warnings. I will take them to heart.<br>
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back