Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a Compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdas04

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
US
I recently purchased rights to an old (1972 vintage) FORTRAN program. I can run it on a Citrix server, but my license there expires next month and since the rights included source code I'm trying to compile the source locally and not have to renew the expensive Citrix license.

I downloaded a trial of Intel's FORTRAN Compiler, but it gives me an error that C++ is not installed. So I downloaded Microsoft's C++ compiler but the Intel stuff can't find it and gives the same error.

Does anyone know of a stand-alone FORTRAN Compiler (probably F77 or even older, the graphics are pretty DOS-like) that I can use to compile this program. I'm running a Windows XP-Pro on a Dell Duo-Core with the memory maxed.

It is an engineering problem with over 1,000 lines of code and I just can't bring myself to try to convert it to Visual Basic or C++.

Thanks for your help

David

Hi,

maybe you should try "gfortran" or "g95", this are modern FORTRAN compilers and they work well on Windows XP.

If your program include graphics hmmm ... you have to find what graphical library you need. This could be a problem ...

GerritGroot,
Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

David

Renardp,
The "graphics" look very much like what I used to punch into Hollerith Cards using WatFor in the '70s. I don't think that graphics libraries are going to be an issue. I did get some compile warnings (the program is actually 6700 lines not 1000) but they all look like variable definition issues.

Thanks for your help.

David

You're welcome. I'm hoping for a newer version of Force (with less line spacing for example), I like it especially because it looks and feels like Microsoft Developer's Studio, but then free.

The website seems to be down however.

Maybe someone knows about a new versión or some further development.

Gerrit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back