Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC SV8100 IPLB locks up intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH1525

Vendor
Jul 19, 2017
US
I have an NEC SV8100 in a 3 system Netlink environment. About 1 time per month the customer calls and says that they cannot dial extension to extension between buildings. we also recently added some ip phones and they cannot register to the server as well. When the system is in this state we cannot ping the ip address of the Primary system and it takes a system restart to get everything working again. Everything will then work fine for approximately a month or so. The firmware version is 9.51.

The Primary system is plugged into a Cisco 2960-S. Anyone have any ideas on this?

IP address conflict?
Are all systems at the same software level?
Does Cisco want the ports locked down at 100/full?
What are your ping times? It sounds like they are going into and out of recovery mode.
Try adjusting some of the timers in 51-05.
Wireshark.
Just a few things off the top of my head.

Thanks for the Reply, Should not be an ip address conflict, the systems are on their own subnet but I'll check. All systems are at 9.51 firmware, We are set to Auto Negotiate on the ports, I did try 100 mbps full but the system was unresponsive, I can try that again. The Netlinked systems are connected via fiber so ping times are excellent.

I don't think they are going in and out of recovery mode. When the issue happens the remote sites do go into recovery mode. The only way I can get the systems to sync back up is by restarting the Primary system.

I'll check 51-05(Are you thinking the timer needs extended?)

Thanks

I believe some of those timers determine how long of an interruption it can take before going into stand a-lone mode. I also think a main site reboot is required to get it back to networking. If possible try a continuous ping and monitor the responses. I had to do that once on a UC3 network to verify an intermittent lost signal that created issues.

Where are you pinging the IP of the primary switch from?

Can you remote into a computer on the same network switch and try to ping the PBX "locally" ?

Yes, I am plugged into the same switch that the Primary system is plugged into and get no reply when I cannot dial extension to extension accross the Netlink.

Thanks

I had same problems years ago. The best networking guys, NEC engineeers, and wiresharks, couldn't figure it out! The crappy work around from NEC was to change it from net link to ccis. Anyway, a while later, I figured it out!
I figured it out bc when we setup our failover internet connection, everything would work except the site to site calls, and it just didn't make sense! The ip settings were right, default gateway was right, etc...
I'm not a networking guy, but the best way I can explain it is that the NEC' default gateway was our firewall which was like 192.168.1.2 and the firewalls gateway was 192.168.1.3
Again, doesn't make any sense at all, but somehow, the NEC was learning the 192.168.1.3 address and skipping its own default gateway! The solution was to put the 192.168.1.3 address on a different subnet.
I too would have the random reboots and my sites would drop calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back