Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC is announcing they are discontinuing all Premises based system 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
IPECS is the only real option, however not sure how long they'll be doing on-prem for as they are really pushing their cloud offering.

Avaya still about but only do 1 digital handset....

Calum M
ACSS

Avaya is the only real option for digital handsets I know of and alot of companies still have cat3 all over their facilities.

I am hearing the same here in OZ!

And now, NEC just announced the latest update to the SV9500, V11.

Apparently these systems will still be sold in Japan only.

I would bet Mitel will buy what’s left of the CPE biz. That leaves Mitel, Avaya and Cisco as the only relevant, large players in this ever shrinking, but never totally vanishing space. The end of an era it seems. Tough for us old timers to believe..

teamonesolutions.com

Perhaps. All it's going to take is major outage due to some calamity to get people straight on how fragile everything is. Look what happened on a simple DNS typo a couple weeks ago. We are looking at another product as I type this.

bjsvec said:
I would bet Mitel will buy what’s left of the CPE biz.

I don't believe that. By getting out of the premises business they hope to grow and increase their hosted service. Selling off the premise based division would not promote the hosted growth from premise based customers. If they sell anything it will be premise and hosted completely to the same company.

In that case I could see Mitel buying them.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World.

Those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Can you imagine the fallout if a hospital was on a cloud only offering and there was an outage?

Can you imagine the fallout if a hospital was on a cloud only offering and there was an outage?"

And the costs they will be looking at. Small hospital in my town still has close to 200 extensions on their 9300. Make them go hosted at an average cost of $30-$40 per user, and the $1,000 a month they pay for their PRI seems small compared to $6,000 - $8,000.

Our system has just over 2,000 extensions. Do the monthly math on that one.

We talked about it a few days after I got the call and we decided to ride it out. We are the Software model SV9500 so as long as we have the ISO and license file I can reload it as needed in a very short amount of time. We proved that one a few years ago when VMWare update erased a datastore and killed the hard drives for a number of servers. I just had the Infrastructor Team reload the ISO and I restored the database from our backup. That was easier than having them restore it from VMWare. They had enough other systems to restore they didn't need to be messing about with something as simple as turning up the PBX.

We figure this gives us 7 to 10 years before we have to purchase anything else.

Riding it out is a good idea. But I have an appliance model SV9500. What happens is a CPU dies? I get one from ebay. And then somehow I need a new license file that allows the new CPU with its new hardware key code...

I am saddened by this decision by NEC. My guess is you need to buy plenty of backups with licensing files preloaded, stored and ready to swap out.

Belvedere,

I am with you on this. Fortunately for me though is the fact that I reached retirement age almost a year ago! I haven't retired yet but I now work for myself as my slightly younger wife has no plans to retire soon! The one thing I am glad of is that I have managed to work all my working life in my trade (unlike many these days who will have to change multiple times during their working life)!

I'm in the same boat with ozziegeorge. Let's go fishing.

phadobas said:
Riding it out is a good idea. But I have an appliance model SV9500. What happens is a CPU dies? I get one from ebay. And then somehow I need a new license file that allows the new CPU with its new hardware key code...

No that would not work on a number of levels. The appliance model is a crapshoot. The hardware is generally very resilient and will not break soon when running in the proper environment. You can still safely go a number of years without replacing the whole thing. That should give you time to consider opitons. The reality is anyone who is still running CAT 3 and TDM stations needs to move to IP Stations.

My suggestion would be an Asterisk based system locally installed in your environment. You could with only the expense of a few Stand SIP IP Phones and a download of IncrediblePBX have a running test platform in a day.

for product information and install procedures
Their support forums

And as much as I hate to say it you could take one of the NEC IP phones and convert it to the standard SIP firmware. They are no where near as good as a Grandstream standard sip phone but they will connect to IncrediblePBX. I had one setup a few years ago for testing.

I am very happy with my installation of IncrediblePBX in my house. So happy when we needed a call center quickly with call recording I stood one up and connected it to our SV9500 with SIP trunks. The 2 work very well together.

Standard SIP does have a few quirks that cause you to need to rethink how you install phones in some environments. Those are the types of things you need to find in the testing.

Since we seem to be able to buy just about any 9100 hardware on eBay, My only serious concern is how long they will keep the licensing site operating. There is a webinar hosted by NEC tomorrow that I will be attending. I will let you guys know if I find out anything worth sharing.

Hi DoubleDriveLine,

Thanks for your input. As you say, Asterisk-based systems are a very strong alternatives. In fact, I have them running, with PRI to the NEC system, for some custom application.
However, I have a "huge empire" of networked NEC systems, and can't just change them out overnight, or not even in the "foreseeable future", or gradually, etc. It's just a nightmare for the years to come. I have a userbase that have grown accustomed to the NEC system through (literally) decades of use. Imagine all the features, feature access codes, hotel features, voicemail system codes, that have been around for decades, SMDR reporting and logging, call accounting, etc. Most likely most of these can be duplicated or some workaround figured out, but I need to buy as much time as I can with NEC.

So the real question is what happens when the LMS portal is no longer available ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back