Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC IPK II : Random phones have fast busy when call out or receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramsey

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2011
US
NEC IPK II System Specs: Cards = 2 PRT, 1 ESIB, 1 CNF, 3 MGCCoIP, 1 CTP. About 50 Dterm IPK Phones attached. KTS Firmware 02.11

Problem:
This started happening about 1 month ago. A random phone, one at a time, will get a fast busy signal whenever you try to call out. Also if you try to call the extension it will get a fast busy as soon as you answer it. The only way to fix the problem is to either reset the entire phone system. Or you can remove and reinsert the PVA cards (MGCCoIP). Then, again, the next day another phone extension will stop working. Strange thing is, you can call and receive calls from internal extensions. Only outsides calls does it get the fast busy. I have tried to get help from our provider, but they cannot figure it out either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would possibly try to pin down if this is a paticular PRI trunk or span because it's not staying with any particular extension. Perform a direct trunk access (#9 + trunk#) on each PRI trunk to make sure that you can access each trunk individually. If that doesn't show an issue with a channel then swap the RJ45's at the smart jack and try the extension, that could rule out telco. Also I know this is a recent anomalie but make sure the latest firmware is available on the PRT cards (5.12). Are the phones Megaco or TDM?

Thank you for your suggestion. I will test your idea and let you know what I find out. They are Megaco phones. I will check the firmware also. However, just to be clear, when an extension stops working that same extensions will stay down until I reset the system. For example, say if extension 540 stops working. If I assign 541 to that phone, the phone will work. But if I assign 540 to any other phone it still does not work. It's as if the problem follows the extension once it starts to have problems. Then I reset the system, 540 will work fine. After about a day a different extension, say 523, will exhibit the same problems. I have had up to two extensions stop working.

I have a PRI and a partial PRI. All trunks work when I do direct trunk access. The firmware for the PRT cards is 1.62. My provider said they cannot upgrade the firmware any further since it would cause them to stop working. They indicated that these are older PRT cards. ?? Also, I am not sure about swapping the RJ45 at the smart jack. It looks like it is wired directly. But all lights are green at the smart jack. Thank you.

It is obviously not a PRI issue as you state that resetting just the PVA fixes the problem. Somehow the PVA is getting a call hung. If you are going to look into upgrading any firmware it should be the service pack and package on the PVA's. However, there haven't been any updates for the PVA's for quite a while now. Can you verify the SP and software version on the PVA's for us.

Also, I would look into locking down the speed and duplex on these cards. Another simple thing would be to move the ports they are connected to on your switch to rule out a network equipment issue (unless you are using VLAN's for the voice in which case you will need to adjust the programming in the switch).

One final note. The PVA cards can get flaky in this system. I have had situations where the card had the latest firmware, but simply defaulting the card with the SP and software fixes strange issues. Also, if all else fails your dealer will need to work with NTAC and debug the LAN / PVA traffic. They may want a trace log from the PVA itself and or a Wireshark capture of the traffic to the cards. The troubleshooting can be tedious, but will be necessary to determine the problem.

You might try looking at a conflicting IP address. Has anything on the network changed recently or is anyone plugging in a device that is not authorized?

gmannatl: Two PVA Cards Have Service Pack Version SP01X; build date 2007-09-13. One PVA card has Service Pack Version SP06VoIP; build date 2009-01-20. They are all card type: Combo [MG16 (24), CCIS (00)]. Firmware version is 1.62 on each. I have used Wireshark to capture traffic and sent it to NTAC. However, they have not provided any solutions. I will try your suggestions. It takes about a day to determine if anything I try works.

belevedere: I have looked into conflicting IP addresses. I was not able to find anything. Our computer network is on a 10.1.x.x subnet and our phones are on 10.0.x.x subnet. I do not have any virtual lans setup. I have D-Link switches DGS-1224TP and DES-1228P. No SNMP traps or packet errors. The dealer said 9 of 10 problems with the phone system is network problems. I have looked carefully at the network, but I cannot find anything wrong with the network. Hopefully I am not missing anything.

Thank you!

gmannatl: TInformation of the CPU is KTS PCPro Server 1.00.0m.pipk, KTS Firmware 02.11, KTS DBMS V5.1H, FPGA Version 6438, DSP Version 6331. Not sure if this will help. Thanks.

There was a issue where a cleardown was not detected or sent to the CPU. This caused the extension to remain busy as far is the CPU was concerned. The fix was that Rtp stream was monitored and if it was only in one direction then a forced cleardown signal was sent to the CPU. Not sure of Firmware versions but will look into it (Both handset and PVA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back