Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC DSX-80/160 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughonea

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2010
US
I have an NEC DSX-80/160 that I have inherited supporting. My experience in the past is with Nortel CICS and CallPilot.

This system currently has a 16-port station card (16 ESIU)in slot 1 and an 8-port CO Card (8 COIU)in slot 3.

There are open slots in the cabinet. I use DSK System Administrator 3 to manage the system.

I need to add station ports, as all 16 are in use. It appears that the original installer planned for another card, since the 66-block for the stations is numbered as though it were installed.

My questions:
1. Are there any licensing concerns with adding a station card?
2. If I power down the system and add the card, will it automatically be detected?
3. What questions should I be asking that I am too ignorant of this system to know?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

1. there should be no licensing required to add a card to the 80/160.
2. absolutely get a back up copy of the database before shutting down. The card should be recognized.
3. good luck finding a good working card. The system was discontinued many years ago.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

I installed the station card today. Bought it from a seller on Amazon and it has a warranty.

I installed it, then went in software and configured as 16EISU.

Connected new extension 316 to it. The phone lights up and shows the name I assigned, but none of the buttons work and it doesn't show the soft features of the extension (310) I copied from.

Also, when the new extension first came up, it said Out of Service Maintenance Mode. Rebooted it a couple of times and it came up with the display above, again, not working, though.

I appreciate any help you can offer with troubleshooting and resolving this!

Thanks!

Bumping to see if anyone has any thoughts on something to try. Thanks!

Thanks @CoralTech. Today, I decided to go back through and re-check everything. I was *sure* I had put the switch in run mode, but when I checked it was not. It's usually something dumb, and even IT techs are not immune. Thanks for answering, yes, once I set the switch to run, everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back