Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC 2000 IPS VOIP expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javamahn

Technical User
Mar 14, 2001
US
What hardware and software do I need to expand my current 2000IPS to allow for a few (5 or less) remote VOIP users? Currently my system is setup with 3 DSS T1s from Qwest and using Dterm Seriesi handsets.
I have 1 user who is moving to Calif. and wants to be able to make calls. If you need any info about the software installed please let me know what to look for in Matworx.

Thank you for any help.

Do you have an IPLA card installed? If so you need to split FP 3 and build out Virtual Pim 19 and then assign the phones in 19. You will also have to purchase either an IP phone or the IP-R to "retrofit" the Series I phone into an IP phone. Go to command F88 DE 01 DE then step through the listup of your switch, it will tell you if you have any IP ports available, if you don't have any IP ports available then you will need to purchase the licenses.

Another couple of questions to ask are; Is your network ready for VOIP traffic? Is it more cost effective to CFA a virtual extension to that user(s) and incur toll charges, then to try to implement VOIP?

If you decide to do VOIP, check out They have some cheat sheets if you know what you are doing. If you are unsure about any of this then contact a professional to make the changes. That way it will be his/their responsibility to make sure the phones are working, not yours.

You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us.

If the guy is on the move why not consider using softphone to save him having to cart a Dterm around with him?

Good point Ozzie, kinda dropped the ball on that one. Might save some money too: you don't need a hardware VPN for a Softphone, you only need a software VPN.

Java,

Look in MAT under comman F88>12> this is the number of IP seats (IP Phone's) that your IPS is authorized for. If this is a none then you need get this resolved through your dealer. If this has a number other than 0 then all you need hardware wise is an IPLA card this can be a 8IPLA or a 32IPLA. This is for IP to Traditional voice conversion. When your ready to program repost here or look where jhenke pointe you to.

Mextera

It looks like I have no license, no ILPA and no Dterm converter. Jhenke you mentioned CFA a virtual extension. Could you elaborate that for me? We currently have no specific vendor servicing our system as our qwest support went away when they dissolved their agreement with NEC. Can anyone give me an idea what the cost would be to get the items I need for VOIP (just a general idea). I am weighing this against just setting this user up with a standard POTS line. He won't be moving but will be part of our help line. Thank you all for your help.

If you have enough room in the cabinet, then you will need:

150441 1 KEY KEEPER (FD)
150497 1 SP30-4 SEAT LICENSE (optional 4 seat softphone license)
150629 1 LT-64 PORT (may not need, depends on space)
150641 1 8 SEAT LICENSE
151492 1 PZ-M606-A (NIC card for cpu)
153154 1 SPN-8IPLA IP PAD-C (8 IPLA - you do not need th 24 pigiback card)
153333 1 64 PORT SYS SOFT-3700 SERIES R (latest software)
221765 1 DTERM SP30 SOFTWARE CD (software for license above and optional)

If you do not have room and you have one cabinet, you will need another cabinet.
151013 48-TW-0.7 CONN CABLE
151373 HANGER ASSEM (UL)
153018 IPS UNIV PIMMJ (UA)

If you have two cabinets and you do not have room, you will also need the following:
151409 PN-CP15

for more info:

What you would do is take the users current extension out of command 10 (hardware LEN's) and move the extension to command 11 (virtual LEN's). That way you can still call the user on your phone system (leave the Voicemail box as is so people can transfer out of the voicemail to his extension). You then go to command e600 for the extension, and point the extension to the California number, trunk-to-trunk transfer must be turned on it the switch. When someone dials the extension it will forward all the calls to the California number.

Pros: Easy to enable without purchasing VOIP equipment.

Cons: All calls to users extension (24 hours a day 7 days a week) will go to his California number, California user will have to get a answering machine/voicemail, incur long distance charges for all transferred calls, and it takes two trunks to transfer the call to California (the inbound call and the outbound transfer).

I have heard of a previous customer that provided a second phone line to a remote user, that way they would have a business line at their house. At the close of the business day they would simply turn off the ringer on the business line, that way their business line wouldn't ring at odd times.
If I didn't explain it well enough, repost and another or myself will try and better explain it for you.

The problem with call forward off site is that they cannot be transferred back. This will increase customer or end user dissatisfaction. Now if your help desk fellow is not available, all they can do is leave him a message or hang up and call again.

The better option is an Analog Extender: see
With an analog line, the user can connect and appear as a regular ext off your system but the cost is over 3k and is a solution for only one user. If you are going to spend money on this, the best solution is the VOIP solution. It will cost about 3 times the price of the analog extender but good for future growth.

ctvi you caught me with my pants down, completely forgot about the extender, and forgot to mention you have no system features with CFA off-site. I do agree with you about the VOIP.

Sorry. I did not mean to catch you out. Your solution is great if you do not want to spend a dime on hardware. They may choose off-site call forwarding anyway despite disruption in smooth business function. It is hard to resist the temptation of a "no upfront cost" solution versus a percieved and non-tangible value. That is, untill end users start complaining and customers start leaving...

In addition, VOIP is only a 95% uptime or reliable solution. If you are going over the internet, there can be times where the connection is down or poor. You also need to look at the LAN to see whether you can section of either through hardware of through a VLAN - the voice and data. Also, what kind of connection do you have at the main site T1? etc. Is it reliable...

Nevertheless, I vote for VOIP as you can always call back immediately on a regular land line and the benefits outweigh these issues.

I have a number of customers using VOIP for remote users and are happy with the setup.

With all this in mind, your solution might be chosen anyway.

By the way 95% uptime is an underestimated number. VOIP uptime is better than that. I do not have a scientific or researched number. I may get a call once or twice a year per user around the country. Normally, it is an issue with the local provider.

Also remeber if this one user is the direction of things to come or a one time setup. SP30 with SW VPN is the best of all worlds. It's just like being there. The SW VPN can also get you access to LAN PC.

Mextera

I have a NEAX 2000IPS and I am trying to get a hard-copy printout of the assigned stations by LEN. I need the following: LEN, Ext number, Virtual number (used as rollover), name. I have tried numerous times using Office Data Listup but just couldn't get what I wanted (the only extensions to list the name was the analogs). I have re-read the MATWorX manual several times but can't get it to do what I want. Can anybody advise?

Use the “Office Data Listup” feature in matworx 32, this takes a long time.A much quicker way it to connect to the system using hyperterm and do a capture then go through the 05's 14, 1, 88 + etc to get all the information you need in real time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back