Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEAX 2000 8DLCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

branchcom

Technical User
Apr 27, 2003
US
All extensions on this card are dead. All programming looks OK. Replaced the card but the extensions are still dead. Any Ideas?

Any LEDs on on the card? Have you checked the system tail plug is seated correctly? Is this a newly added card?

There are no lights on the card at all. If I CCC each extension, or make them all busy, all LEDs will light on the card.

I also removed and checked the tail. Then put it back. Also this is not a newly added card. The maintenance man said his phone display was dim, then his phone just died. I swapped the card with a card that was working, and the problem did not move. I replaced the card anyway, because I had a spare.

Next step is pull all the other extension and cot cards and see if that card works on it's own, It could be another card pulling it down, so if it works, add the others back one at a time and see which card causes it to stop! Remember that whilst the first eight slots (00 to 07) are the main slots you use, there is a correlation between slots 04 & 08, 05 & 09, 06 & 10 and 07 & 11 so if the problem card is in one of these slots, check if there is anything in the associated slot as the second 4 lens on each card also appear on the higher slot number. So if a card has been inserted in the higher slot and it isn't one that is allowed in there (AP cards such as ISDN cards or AP00 cards) that can cause a problem!

I'll try that and get back to you. Thanks

What we have to do is try and eliminate a backplane fault so it may be worth swapping the system tails over and seeing if you can get the service on the other tail but that is pretty messy to try if you don't have a spare system tail. How many Pims is your system because we may also have to rule out a PSU problem, So if you have two pims it may be worth swapping the PSUs just to rule that out as well!

Fast response as well Are you in Australia as you seem to be answering in my time zone! I only ask because of possible differences between US and Aus systems!

What PIM is the card in? This sounds like it might be a CPU BUS chip issue. There is a BUS chip on the CPU that controls all of the PIMS above the second one. A lightning hit or power hit usually damages the chip and although it looks like everything is still programmed in, nothing works above the second PIM. You are left with only 2 working PIMS. There is no replacement chip. The CPU has to be replaced if it goes bad.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go back out today. However there is a voicemail card in LT00, 8-DLCP in slots LT01-LT03, 8LCAA in slot LT04, and the card that isn't working is in LT05. All extensions work except the extensions LEN 040-047. As I said earlier, the phones just died. I'm not sure if there was a power failure or some other event before the phones stopped working. Thanks for all of your help. The system is in a nursing home, so I'm only able to go in after hours to troubleshoot.

I just left the Nursing Home. I removed all the other cards, and the card in LT05 is still not working. If I busy out the extensions in programming, all the LEDs will flash, but when I put the extensions back in service, the lights on the card go out, but the phones still do not work. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well it doesn't leave much to point the finger at!

The system tail? But what are the odds of eight pairs in a cable, all associated with the same card going faulty?
The power supply? I don't believe each card has a separate feed!
The only two items I can reasonably suspect are the CPU and the backplane!

Do you have easy access to a spare Pim that you can move things into to see if it is a backplane or a spare CPU you can load the customer's data into to see if that works?

We had a system here a few years ago that had (no joke) a rat get fried in the back plane. Most of the system kept working.
Have you moved the card to a different card slot, possibly in a different PIM?
Can you take the back plane cover off and inspect it for damage? Water, environmental, critter?
Since it's a nursing home, is the system located in an area prone to moisture? Leaky pipes above? Any recent construction?
Is the LT cable in a place where it can get cut or water soaked? I installed two systems a few years ago on Liberty and Ellis Island. Every 66 block had corrosion on it.
To rule out the CPU, get a database back up, then default the CPU (get the IVR number first CMD F83) then test it with the default program. If it works then I'd suggest a database corruption and re-program it. If it still does not work, then default it again with the card in a different slot.

Belvedere

Down Under we have a problem with Gekkos (a small lizard) getting fried in our systems!

There could also have been a power surge or even an electrical storm. I visited a system just this week that had a surge 3 months ago but it took till now for a card to fall off the perch!

Thanks everyone for the replies, and suggestions. I'm going to try and get a replacement CPU to rule out the backplane issue. I've looked at the area around the KSU, and there are no leaks or moisture. What is the best way to back up the database, in order to restore it to the new CPU. Also I was thinking about removing the analog station card that is using only 3- extensions, and putting the digital card in that slot (slot LT04).What would be the best way to do that? Thanks

Do you have a copy of Matworx as this is essential for a backup! It also makes moving extensions easier too!

It has just occoured to me to ask if you have a lead to connect to the system? It may be hard to do anything without one! But we can try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back