Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDS Error Via Bindery......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Sep 10, 2001
US
I have a server with no replicas, with a SET Bindery context command in the
Autoexec.

Once every few days, this server gives a :-
NDS error via bindery 2 server XXXXXXXXXXXXXNDS: Error

(Where XXXXXXXXXXXXX is a 13 digit varying Number..)
Message via managewise at the rate of about 4 per minute!!!! Nothing appears
on the console, nor on the DS screen... How can I determine what is causing
the messages and prevent them..

TIA
Rob

You using ManageWise 2.7 then?

Basically, NDS servers emulate bindery calls. To do this, you need a writable copy of the OU that the bindery client is chatting with.
So, you don't have a writable copy (or writable replica in Novell speak), so your server can't emulate bindery, so your client can't get it's service and the server generates an NDS trap.

Get rid of the bindery based stuff, it's old, slow and sucks! Or put a writable replica on that server. Ofcourse you know there are bindery emulation problem (well speed of emultation) in later version of NDS (like 8 and above)....

Good luck

To emphesise what Lord_Ice said:

If you want to do bindery connections on a server, it needs a replica on it containing the NDs objects that you wish to use. You cannot bindery connect to a server without replicas on it.

Just a question - why do you require bindery services?

Thats the thing!!!! I dont need Bindery services... and I'm not sure why the heck the COntext is set in the Autoexec in the first place!!!. But even after doing a "Set Bindery context=;" at the console, the messages STILL appear!!!!

I need to establish just what is trying to use the bindery connection.
I cannot down the server.
I cannot add a replica to the server.
Help!!!

Do you think that the errors are pointing to a MAC address? If so, it may be devices such as JetDirect Cards, NetPorts, legacy DOS/Win 3.11 workstations etc...

If it is a MAC address, get your network boys to trace it.

Thanks, but the 13 digit number is not a MAC address..
It is a number beginning 1002XXXXXXXXX.

ANy other ideas!!
TIA
Rob

Remove the SET BINDERY CONTEXT line from the AUTOEXEC.NCF. Now go into MONITOR and select SERVER PARAMETERS, DIRECTORY SERVICES, and ensure that the BINDERY SERVICES box has nothing in (not even ;). When you come out (return to the MONITOR front screen), toggle round to your console and type SET BINDERY CONTEXT and ensure that there is no value in there.

Give this a try.

Ok. Done that.

Removed ; from Bindery context.
Typed Set bindery context at console (Gave a description of what it is)
Checked monitor which had no ;

Still the messages come!!!

Aargh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back