Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDRs are audited as SPAM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

irvmoy

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
Two spams for the price of one!

I'm running an Exch5.5 server that is being bombarded with SPAM(1). The spammers are sending to anyone@mydomain.com and they are using fictitous sender email addresses. I don't have many mailboxes, so most of the mail results in invalid delivery addresses.

As a result, my server is sending out NDRs by the hundreds. Some of the fictitious sender addresses contain valid domains so it appears my server is sending out SPAM(2). The ISPs are also constantly checking my server for an open relay - but I have relaying blocked.

How to I stop reverse UCE? How can I disable the NDRs to prevent outbound emails to the fictitious addresses?

I tried the steps that GRENAGE listed, and as all that does is stop sending a notification to the site Administrator when the NDR's occur. This doesn't stop the NDR's from being sent. Any other suggestions?

Surely you better double-check, the steps are correct and there are no other options.
Don't forget to stop and start the service though!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back