Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDR When sending from EXCH 2000 to a recipient on EXCH 5.5 in same org 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerIra

MIS
Dec 8, 2000
US
I just added an Exchange 2000 server in order to upgrade from 5.5. I moved one mailbox from 5.5 to 2000 and now I cannot send from that mailbox to recipients on the old Exchange 5.5 server.

I can receive mail from them but if I reply I get the NDR.

I can send and recieve email externally.

Here is the event from the App log:

A non-delivery report (reason code unable-to-transfer and diagnostic code unrecognised-OR-name) is being generated for message C=US;A= ;P=Cyntergy;L=SOONER-031007202955Z-3. It was originally destined for DN:CN=TPALMER,CN=RECIPIENTS,OU=TULSA,O=CYNTERGY§ (recipient number 1), and was to be redirected to . [MTA DISP:RESULT 17 136] (12)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 3:35 PM
To: Tyler Palmer
Subject: Undeliverable:test

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
Sent: 10/7/2003 3:35 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Tyler Palmer on 10/7/2003 3:35 PM
The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.The MTS-ID of the original message is:c=US;a= ;p=Cyntergy;l=SOONER-031007203513Z-5
MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:TULSA:SOONER

Anyone with an idea... I expanded the logging on the server and now get another event that says something about checking the routing table.

It just can't send mail to the old exchange 5.5 server..

Make sure that your Organization or Site names don't have illegal characters in them. I am going through the same issue with my upgrade.

Microsoft claims that the only solution is to uninstall Exchange 2000 completely, then export all my 5.5 mailboxes to PST files, rebuild the 5.5 servers with Org and Site names that are legal, reimport the data, then upgrade to 2000.

I think I'm just going to set up a new org and site this weekend with 2K and use the mailbox migration tool to suck over the mailboxes. It'll probably be easier than dinking around rebuilding all my 5.5 servers just to end up upgrading them to 2K later.

Good Luck!!!

RedBarn2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back