Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDR-critical function missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2001
US
We're getting this strange NDR that I've never seen. It's only when trying to mail one address. The attachment is only a 20KB excel document. I can't find much info on it any help would be greatly appreciated.

A critical function required for the transfer or delivery of the message was not supported by the originator of the report
<&quot;server&quot; #5.3.3 smtp;500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command>

Thanks,

Bill Swanson

Is the email address external to your network? I'm guessing so cos it's smtp....
Try find another address on that domain and send to it. (If it's bill@microsoft.com find someone else @microsoft.com and send it to them as well.
If you get the same NDR it sounds like the remote server you're sending to doesn't support one of the smtp commands your server is giving it. It might not support ehlo for example.

Rule of thumb - if you can't send to them but you can send to someone else it's generally SEP....
(Someone Elses Problem ;)

JS

JS,

Thanks, you're correct I believe. We tried to send to their info@stjosephscenter.org and received a delay message.

The problem we deal with a lot here is since we're involved with a lot of non-profit orgs I end up trying to help them on their end considering they can't afford to have IT staff. I just checked on checkdns.net and can't find anything obvious...I'm going to have them call their vendor.

Thanks!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back