Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDR 5.2.3 on Messages Over 1.5mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCCooper

MIS
Aug 13, 2002
AU
I receive a NDR 5.2.3 stating "This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again." on e-mail that is being sent external to our network. I have been testing this with another person who does not have any mailbox restrictions.

For standard users on our network we have message limits set to about 3mb (in Message Delivery)and my account has a limit of 18mb (set at the Mailbox). These limits are working fine within the network. There are no restrictions set on the SMTP virtual server.

We are running SBS 2000 (SP2) with Exchange (SP2).

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

The organisation you are sending to has limits set which your mail is breaking....

It would suprise me that every organisation or person that we are trying to send e-mail to has a limit of 1.5mb.

In my testing I have tried to forward a 2mb file to a person that I successfully sent the same file to about 4 weeks ago. I have also tried sending a 2mb file to my personal e-mail account which has no message size limits.

Did you set a limit on the SMTP Virtual Server?

Keep in mind that when a message goes external the values are off by 30%. So you might have to raise it up. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I don't have any message limit restrictions on my SMTP Virtual Server. This is why I am very confused.

I have read some of the other messages in the Forum about the SMTP Virtual Server becoming corrupted. Could this be my problem? Should I try reinstalling Exchange 2000 then re-appying my service packs?

"I have read some of the other messages in the Forum about the SMTP Virtual Server becoming corrupted. Could this be my problem? Should I try reinstalling Exchange 2000 then re-appying my service packs?"

Maybe 1 in a million. Several times we blame that but I have only seen it proved once.

From c:\inetpub\adminscripts

cscript adsutil.vbs smtpsvc enum_all

This dumps the IIS metabase settings for the SMTP VS.

Can you send 6MB messages internally? If so it isn't a size restriction on your stuff. We still use the SMTP VS to deliver locally. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Yes I can send a file larger than 6mb within the network.

I tried to run the script from the c:\inetpub\adminscripts folder and received the message "Command not recognized: smtpsvc". Any ideas?

I was able to run the script "cscript adsutil.vbs enum_all smtpsvc" and directed the output to a text file.

After having a look though the file I have noticed that MaxMessageSize is in the text file twice. The first instance says 2097152 and the second instance says 0. When I look at the Default SMTP Virtual Server the "Limit message size to (KB):" check box is unchecked. Where do I find the field to change the 2097152 value?

We have the same problem overhere (The Netherlands), there are never set any limits at al!!!!! All attachements larger than 1,5 MB are blocked with a NDR 5.2.3 message for outcoing messages. I have searched the whole System Manager and found nothing at all......Internal messages are going good. Very strange.....
Windows 2000 SP2/SP3 and Exchange SP1/SP3.

Hi, We have the same problem here (Luxembourg). Exactly like McDeanski. W2000 Small Business Server + SP4 , exch 2000 SP3 + rollup post SP3.
I get the result file like MCCooper with same value.
Another way to check this limit is connecting via telnet on port 25 on my server, typing EHLO returns me 250-SIZE 2097152

Would be great to find a fix !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back