Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDPS remove drivers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgnihlman

MIS
Dec 5, 2002
SE
Hi !

I have installed several versions of HP 4200 drivers for Win 2k/XP to my broker and now I want to clean out some of these drivers, how do I do this ?

I have not found any remove driver option in the Broker
GUI in NWADMIN, maybe this can be done somehere else
than in NWAdmin.

I'm running NDPS 3 on NW 5.1 SP5 eDir 8.7.

Regards
Lars-Gunnar

The only way I know of is to remove them manually. It's a pain, but it works.

Navigate to <server>:sys\ndps\resdir\prndrv
From there you will see folders for W2k, NT4,W95, and W3.1. These relate to the OS groupings in the Broker. In each of these folders you'll find directories containing each driver loaded into the Broker. Open each driver folder, check the INF to see which printer it is, and delete the driver folders you don't want. The Broker will recreate it's list of drivers when invoked, there's no other action needed.

I've been doing some of this myself lately.

Hey Lawnboy,

I have a few questions?

How do I remove NDPS/RMS already installed XP HP Printer drivers from workstations without user interaction?

Background:

The 27 HP Printer model package driver has been loaded to the all of our brokers for win2000/xp.

We get %$#%@! Spoolsv.exe errors at &quot;random&quot; on some of our xp workstations. Novell and MS state it is cause by the use of the latest and greatest HP.Com drivers. The drivers are older than XP Digitaly Signed Driver on the XP pro build. We have around 8000 users using XP with the wrong drivers.

As a quick fix we have the users restart the spooler service after the spoolsv.exe crash. Then their printers come back(they dissappear after error) then we have them goto printer and fax page, click file, server props, and replace. We would like to automate this process.

I want to know:

Can I just down the broker, delete the contants of the Win2000 directory in the ndps\resdir directory and then restart it?

Will that screw up the broker?

Then can I extract all xp printer drivers from a workstation up to the RMS/broker(s)?

As you can tell I am new to NDPS

We have:

XP Pro (Sp1 is suppose to fix it also but are company is waiting for Sp2 because of bugs with sp1)
NW 5.1 SP5
XP client 4.83 (SP2 we are deploying next week)
hp 4,5,4000,4200,4050,5si and so on..

Thanks,

JMS

Try the following:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dd /m &quot;%dname%&quot; /h &quot;Intel&quot; /v &quot;Windows 2000&quot; /q

Replace %dname% with the full name of the driver you want to remove. You can usually find the full name of an HP driver by opening the INF file and looking at the [Strings] section for the Printer string. The format varies by manufacturer and driver because of the extensibility of the INF file format.

The printui.dll is pretty powerful. Try looking at:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?

I made a bunch of batch files that run a sequence of these commands to setup non-mapped queue based printers via the login script.

As far as changing which driver the Broker hands to a workstation when installing a printer, that's easy. Login with tree operator or Admin rights, and open NWadmin. Doubleclick the Broker object -> Resource Mgmt -> Add Resources. Pick the W2K group, and you'll have 2 choices, ADD or EXTRACT. EXTRACT will pull a driver from native Windows, ADD will pull a driver from the location you specify. Close the Broker when you've got the driver you want uploaded.

Then doubleclick the printer object in question. Click CONTROL -> Set Defaults -> Drivers and select the new driver you want that printer to use.

While you have the printer object's properties open, click the 'NDPS Remote Printer Management' button. From there you can force every workstation in the container listed to delete or install that printer on next login.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back