Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDPS Printing 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillis

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2001
On upgrading to NW6, we've now moved away from queue-based printing to NDPS capability. I'm having difficulty understanding the relationship of the NDPS printer created in NWAdmin and the Printer Gateway / Printer Agent appearing on the server console. And the old queue...

Can someone please give me a quick overview of how they interact and perhaps the correct sequence of events for creating and configuring a new printer? It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult, yet for some reason I don't get it. Does the old print "server" object disappear now? Do you create the printer in NWAdmin first and configure in the Gateway/Agent screens or vice versa?

Thanks for any enlightenment. It will be greatly appreciated.

gillis

Here's some reading material;

NDPS rocks, much better than queue, but if you have DOS apps, you will still need to use queues, good thing NDPS printers can also service queues.

BTW Queue objects, Printer Objects and Print Server objects in NDS that you used for queue based printing have no relashion to NDPS.

The Printer Gateway (you may being seeing the HP Gateway since they are the most populare printers), is to give you the functionlaity and managment features of the printers. The default Novell gateway that is basicly built into the NDPS manager can just send a print job, it can't give you the added printer managment features.

So when a user calls you up because the printer ran out of paper or toner, and a lazy end user just calls you up to ask you come and "fix" what they call a broken printer, you can see whats up from the Gateway. You will see it is either out of paper, or out of toner, or ther eis a paper jam, the printer manufacture gateway will tell you this info. The Novell gateway will just tell you the printer need attention. The Novell gateway also does not give you the printer menu option from with in NWAdmin, the Gateway does. Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer
provogeek@hotmail.com
East Bay, California; USA

Thanks for your reply - I'll work my way through the documentation as time permits. Meanwhile I need to get the intall sequence down so I can just add a printer; we have an older LaserJet 4 and a newew 2100 that I need to get online ASAP.

Thanks again,

gillis

Provogeek,

I read with interest your 101 primer & the links you provided. I am still having problems & I wonder if you could look at my post & tell me if you could help.

thread871-534664

Thanks!

HP has a network printer wizard that has done some good things for me.

Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back