Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDPS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deruki

Technical User
Feb 27, 2004
US
We are having a problem where users who are not explicitly assigned to the "Users" list in the Access Control of the NDPS printer object are able to submit print jobs. Can anyone explain why this might be happening?

Thanks,

Mike Rubinfeld

Yes, you shouldn't be trying to assign individual users. That's a management nightmare. If you can get away with it, use containers (OU's) for access whereever possible and groups for everything else.

Oh, i just reread your question and realize that what you are saying is that certain people can print when you don't think they should be able to? Generally the OU where the printer is created is given user rights to the printer. So any user within that container will inherit those rights. rights flow down the tree. I bet if you look at the list of allowed users, the OU that it sits in is defined as a user.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

When I created the NDPS printer object a while back I was careful not to include the entire container, because some users shouldn't have access to that printer. The problem I was having was that a specfic user account was able to use the printer even though they weren't given "User" access to it. What I am testing right now is if changing the security level to High will help. Perhaps the medium security level does what you suggested, and allows any user in that container the ability to print to that printer, by virtue of the "trickle-down" effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back