Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDMP backups NetApp work with root but not ndmp ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantab

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2002
US
I added an account with useradmin named "ndmp" on the netapp and added it to the "Backup Operators" group.

However, when attempting to run the backup we get this error:

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---

* bos-netapp:/vol/vol0 1 retry attempted
* bos-netapp:/vol/vol0 42597:nsrndmp_save: connect auth: connection has not been authorized
* bos-netapp:/vol/vol0 42610:nsrndmp_save: The NDMP connection is not successfully authorized on host 'bos-netapp'.
* bos-netapp:/vol/vol0 42884:nsrndmp_save: Not able to connect or authorize the client 'bos-netapp'
* bos-netapp:/vol/vol1 1 retry attempted
* bos-netapp:/vol/vol1 42597:nsrndmp_save: connect auth: connection has not been authorized
* bos-netapp:/vol/vol1 42610:nsrndmp_save: The NDMP connection is not successfully authorized on host 'bos-netapp'.
* bos-netapp:/vol/vol1 42884:nsrndmp_save: Not able to connect or authorize the client 'bos-netapp'
* <ERROR> : Failed with error(s)

However, when changing the account to root in the client attribute it works just fine. Any ideas?

Did you add the account to the client's properties as well (Remote User/Password)?

Yes I did add to to the client's properties as well (Remote User/Password). When added as root the backups run, however, they don't run when trying to use the ndmp id that I created. I also changed the pw many times to eliminate that as a potentional issue. BTW - this is working on another NetApp set up the same way. Thanks.

I think this has nothing to do with the backup. The reason for that seems to be that the login attempt is refused prior to starting the backup.

Next thing i would try is to verify the account with a telnet session.

The account works fine and allows logins via ssh.

sroot@corebmc01 # ssh bos-netapp -l ndmp
ndmp@bos-netapp's password:

bos-netapp> useradmin user list ndmp
Name: ndmp
Info: NDMP Service Account
Rid: 131077
Groups: Administrators
Full Name:
Allowed Capabilities: login-*,cli-*,api-*,security-*
Password min/max age in days: 0/4294967295

# inquire -N bos-netapp
Enter NDMP user name: ? ndmp
Enter 'ndmp' password on NDMP host 'bos-netapp' (characters will not be echoed):

Communicating to devices on NDMP Server 'bos-netapp', this may take a while...
42597:inquire: connect auth: connection has not been authorized
42610:inquire: The NDMP connection is not successfully authorized on host 'bos-netapp'.

Reading through the Admin manual (I should have done this earlier) i found that you can only perform operations such backup and recoveries as "root" user. I think this is the most obvious problem here.

Thanks 605. The problem is we are backing up 3 other NetApps with a non-root ID just fine. The Backup Operators group was designed to allow for this type of functionality. Can you please send me the link to that admin guide you are referring too? Thanks....

From the current NW 7.5 Admin Guide, page 540 ...

Requirements for NetWorker software with NDMP support
These requirements apply when running the NetWorker software with NDMP
support:
? To back up the bootstrap file, a non-NDMP device must be attached to the
NetWorker server. The bootstrap includes the media database and configuration
files needed to recover the NetWorker server after a disk crash.
This requirement does not apply when the backup is to a NetWorker storage node
with a non-NDMP device. In this case, the same non-NDMP device could be used
for a bootstrap device.
? To perform either an NDMP backup or recovery operation, you must be one of
these:
• Logged in as root
• Windows Administrator

Okay thanks. We are just going to continue backing up this filer with the root credentials which is working fine. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back