Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDIS.SYS crashes with XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerishere

Technical User
Jul 14, 2003
US
Thanks for the advice to make a new tread due to the length of the other one :)

>>>>>

Hi
I am getting this now as well
3 times today since noon

I have a ASUS A7N8X, new system but for 3 months, no problems
Using the 3COM NIC but also tried the nforce one, it creamed me also today

I was streaming video to my Laptop via a anypoint wireless
Same hardware I have had for 2 years on 2 PCs

So, now all of a sudden this is just killing me way too often
I never turn off the PC and have a starband sat modem
It seems to be working fine though

Power Supply is like 420 watts and all is brand new
WD 120 Plus drive, ti4600 8x nvidia card, pretty much a nice machine, all great parts and 1 gig of samsung RAM

Old PC had a cheap NIC card in it and it never did this but this one didn't either until like the last week.

So, what could be causing this ?
I checked all of the drivers as far as I can tell :/

I have a second partition of XP that I used for a month that I might boot back into and see if it does not crash
This is a pretty new format as I wanted to start clean.

THis really SUCKS when it happens
It might be a fluke but Iwas streaming 220k when it happened but I have done that for 2 weeks and not a burp.

Thanks for any tips!

Tiger

Also, I might add
In the event view each time this has happened there is a true vector error
About 5 of them basically saying this

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( True Vector Engine ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .

Now, I am not sure if it is causing the crash, or doing this due to the crash
I almost always blame Zone Alarm when things weird happen and usually it clears up after a un'reinstall

It might be nothing except logged this after the crash but for some reason I want to this this happens , first

T

True Vector Engine has to do with ZoneAlarm. I just started having a problem with ndis.sys as well. I am running Win XP Pro. I just reformatted and reinstalled today and I have already encountered the problem. I am not running ZoneAlarm though. I can't really point you in any direction but to tell you that ZoneAlarm may be the problem.

I just found this on another forum:

Yep, The NDIS.SYS file needs replaced. You can do this by doing the following.

Open a command prompt (START>RUN>CMD) and type sfc /scanonce
then reboot. If the file is corrupted then this will fix it.

Let me know how it goes.
James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

I'm trying it right now, I heard of this method before, it sounds pretty good.

Thanks for that tip on how to repair files, much needed

Also, I swapped from the USB port my anypoint wireless was in and it has stopped
for 6 days I didn't reboot and ran the same tasks yet no crashes

It was on a USB adapter that was going into the PCI slot
So, I put the printer there and moved the wireless item to a port on the motherboard
There are 4 there and 2 on top but I didn't want to use the ones on top of the case.

Anyways, I think it wa a IRQ conflict that was being shared on the IRQ whatever that PCI slot was using

Weird but it seems to fix it!
I have had some corrupt files before so taht command I really appreciate and am saving it now to a safe place.

Thanks
Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back