Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NCTI Master Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvayaNovice

Vendor
Apr 6, 2003
US
Has anyone ever taken any of NCTI's courses, or receieved any of their certification? Also, how does their Master Technician program relate to the RCDD certification, I've been reading that it counts somehow towards an RCDD certificate.

Alright... well I thought servamatic or daronwilson might know something about this, but i guess not.

Ok you caught me, I went and looked at the site. It looks like a telecom degree type program to me, but hey I'll look at it more.

The RCDD is simply a qualification that one has studied and has a measureable amount of knowledge about the standards.

I'll look into it more and give you my two bits.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Well, take a look at the NCTI relation to the RCDD. It says if you're an NCTI master technician (this is relating to CATV mostly) that it gives you a certain amount of points towards an RCDD?

How about a web address?
I would think any "points" would be towards Continuing Ed Credits, since to get an RCDD you MUST take the exam, no exceptions and have 2 years verifiable design experience.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

I believe they are referring to the BICSI certified installer programs, those more closely mesh with most of the technician type classes I saw on the site.

The RCDD is more design oriented, not installer oriented.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

It specifically says RCDD.

And the Master Technician certification is very design oriented. OSP Engineers must have this designation for most cable system design bids. And we're talking about HFC, which is heavily reliant on design before it ever goes to build.

Well go figure, unfortunately you don't need any credits for BICSI RCDD certification. Unless they are referring to continuing education credits, I have no idea where they are going.

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

The way I read the thread is that the credits are BICSI approved CEC's.

Richard S. King, RCDD/LAN/OSP
TKG Consulting Engineers, Inc.

are any of these certifications really needed

Pat Guido
NEXTIRAONE
Pat.guido@nextiraone.com

Formerly Nextira, formerly Williams Communications, formerly Wiltel, formerly Nortel networks, formerly Northern Telecom, formerly, Nynex meridian systems formerly Northern Telecom.

are any of these certifications really needed

Pat Guido
NEXTIRAONE
Pat.guido@nextiraone.com

Formerly Nextira, formerly Williams Communications, formerly Wiltel, formerly Nortel networks, formerly Northern Telecom, formerly, Nynex meridian systems formerly Northern Telecom.

paddyg.jpg

Well, NCTI is cable and broadband specific from what I read, and what it offers as far as BICSI is concerned is CEC's. You don't need CEC's till after you already have the BICSI registration.
The courses they offer may help you prepare for some parts of a BICSI registration exam, but I don't think I would rely on what you learn to get you through the RCDD exam.

For the RCDD--once you are classified as an RCDD, does it expire--or are you required to take a certification test every so often?

Thanks

It's definetely CATV "broadband" specific, more related to OSP and maintanence and whatnot though. Tap balancing, amplifier balancing, system design, etc.

The RCDD is good for three years, over which time you must accumulate 45 (i think) hours of approved continuing education as well as attend one BICSI conference before being eligible to apply for another 3 years.

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

As to the RCDD, you must renew every 3 years as Daron stated, but you need not retake any test, just get your CEC's which is 45 and a conference, which is worth 15 of those credits and then pay your renewal fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back