Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NBU6 - Veritas/Symantec licencing... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColG2k7

Technical User
Jul 31, 2007
GB
Hi..

Can anyone help? ive got to make a report on our licencing usage for our Netbackup 6 infrastructure. unfortunately the original person who managed it has left the company.. all i have managed to get is a list of what we have purchased from our supplier.. but i cant find anything to say what the various options actually mean!

Does anyone know where i can find out what the various options are etc, i have a feeling its something thats been swallowed up or superceeded by the Symantec take-over...

Heres a list of the veritas/symantec licences we have in varying quantities:

Netbackup XPLAT Library
Netbackup Database Agent Oracle Tier 3
Netbackup Database Agent SQL Tier 3
Netbackup Database Agent SQL Tier 2
Netbackup MS Exchange Agent Tier 3
Netbackup Win Client Agent
Netbackup Server Win Server Tier 3
Netbackup Server Win Server Tier 1
Netbackup Linux Client Agent
Netbackup Win Starter Pack

What do the different tiers mean?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta
Colin G

Unfortunately, I suspect Veritas to stay pretty unclear with their denominations (and I don't even talk about their new SKU !!!) to push customer to deal only with their supplier.

Tier depends on your hardware. The bigger your hardware platform is (mainframes, Sun, AIX machines for example), the higher the tier (and the price) is.

For Linux and Windows clients, tier depends on the number of CPU:
Tier 1 = 1 CPU,
Tier 2 = 2 or 3 CPU,
Tier 3 = 4 to 7 CPU,
Tier 4 = 8 or more.

Anyway, I can go quickly through your list:

- Netbackup XPLAT Library:

(XPLAT = Cross Platform). The complete name should be Netbackup Option XPLAT Library Drive Licence. With Veritas, you only pay for the number of drives within your library, not for the library option itself.

- Netbackup Database Agent Oracle Tier 3:
- Netbackup Database Agent SQL Tier 3
- Netbackup Database Agent SQL Tier 2
- Netbackup MS Exchange Agent Tier 3:

Agent to backup online databases (hot backup). Unless you host Exchange server on a Cray, I suppose that Tier 3 means your Exchange server is a 4 to 7 CPU machine. ;)

- Netbackup Win Client Agent
- Netbackup Linux Client Agent

Standard client installed on machines you want to backup

- Netbackup Server Win Server Tier 3
- Netbackup Server Win Server Tier 1

Netbackup Servers (master(s) + media(s)) licences. Tier also applies here.

- Netbackup Win Starter Pack

A Netbackup Starter Pack includes:
. 1 x Netbackup Server Win Server (Tier 1 or 2),
. 1 x Netbackup Library Based Tape Drive Option (also called Netbackup XPLAT Library),
. 5 x Netbackup Clients.

Olivier

Thanks for that info... means i can possibly get a bit closer to figuring out which machines own which licences!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back