Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NBU 6MP3 - Random media requests.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColG2k7

Technical User
Jul 31, 2007
GB
Got another annoying "feature" of one of our netbackup enviroments...

its a Windows master/media server running NB6 MP3 and a standalone tapedrive.
The policies configured are fairly straightforward, with one volume pool and the jobs all have a 6 day retention..
Randomly some jobs will not run, because they generate a pending media request for a random tape (example being a job today (thursday) wants a tape from tuesday) this is being problematic because it makes all the other jobs queue up behind it, and if it happens early on in the run, none of the backups get done..
ive tried re-creating some of the polices, but there is no pattern to it, and even in the actual details for the job, it does not say its raising a media request. also i am unable to view the pending request on the media, only cancel it.

Is this something thats only going to get solved by moving to MP4/5? - its beginning to be a PITA!

Do you have it setup to allow multiple retention period per media?

If so, it may be asking for the tape it knows has space on it and if you have a single drive it will gum up the works.

That is the only thing I can think of. Bob (Stumpr) might be able to add more.

Just a quick update on this... turns out that a couple of the tapes had un-expired images on them, which was causing them to fill up and overspill the backups onto the next tape (was mainly happening at weekends when we dont monitor them)

i manually expired all the tapes and started from scratch.. its working better now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back