Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NBU 4.5 2000 Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

veldheer

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
We are in the process of implementing Windows 2000 AD in a locked down environment. Our security team does not want to provide Domain level admin rights. What rights do I need for:

1). Backing up the Domain Controllers
2). Exchange 2000
3). Backing up everything else

Both of these need to be accomplished with the least amount of rights. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Backing up Exchange requires an excahnge admin account if you are doing mailbox level backups. If you are backing up servers - The system account should do the job but ... If you back up anything across the network then you need to have the necessary rights.

The only real thing that you need is to set up an account in your network, make it a member of the local\backup operators group on all servers and you should be okay. Backup operators have full access for backing up only - HT eaccess is not visible through browsing.

I did not think that the backup operators group within AD has the right "Rights" for NBU? I thought that group was only for backups using MSFT's built-in backup utility.

Netbackup doesn't use any domain accounts for file backups. Exchange does need an Exchange admin account for mailboxes, but for file backups Netbackup uses machine permissions. When the client is installed, you tell it which server is the master and you list any media servers that may back up that client. When a backup starts, the client will only accept backup requests from the listed servers. The client runs under the local system account which has permissions to back up files.

Because of this a master server is domain independent. I was able to back up servers from a different domain (even a different forest)without any trust relationship in place because the servers were on the same physical network.

You do need to have admin rights on the server to install the client, but once it's installed, that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back