Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Navishere engineering mode??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAASP

Technical User
Apr 6, 2005
CA
Hello All,

Is the crtl-shift-f12 valid in all versions of navisphere? do you have to be in a certain screen or have certain devices highlighted in order to use it? I have navisphere supervisor 4.3 and what I believe is an idae 5310, but cannot get a response to crtl-shift-f12 (I do also have the password). Thanks for your help!

It definitely works in 4.3. Ctrl-Shift-F12 and then the password. It will not echo anything though you may hear a single beep when you start typing the password. If it's done correctly, you'll see a new addition to the menu bar labeled "Engineering Mode". I'd make sure you have the storage tab selected and the array highlighted. That always works for me.
If you don't see a storage array under the storage tab, you don't have something set up properly.

Thanks maultier, I didn't realize that there is no echo, works great though. The next issue is that the disk I need to format has the SG01 firmware. Is there any way to obtain the AV00 firmware?

Firmware is usually not the problem. Typically, the manufacturers use the stock firmware and just add a label to make it theirs. If you need to set the array up, unbind the existing set-up and rebind to what you want. If the drive is 512 sector formatted, then it will need to be converted to 520.

Thanks again maultier, formatting to 520 now with scsitoolbox32. Currently the clariion sees it as "unformatted" with 0 capacity, and cannot use the disk for anything. So, after formatting to 520 block size the clariion should be fine with it even though the microcode is SG01?

I'll have to say ... maybe. I'd need more information. If you still don't see the drive after the format, then it is likely that the drive is not supported with the current version of Flare/Prom Code you have running. If you'll tell me the disk specifics and the flare rev on your box, I may be able to tell you if it's supported or not. You can find the rev by right clicking on the sp and select properties. It should be something like 5.24.08 for the 5300 Series. Better yet, uprev .. if you can.

Turns out it reports as being a 5200.

Firmware: 5.21.04
PROM: 1.09.00

Non functional disk is a DRHL36L CLAR36 and SG01 microcode.
The functional disks report identically, except AV00 microcode, I should know in a couple hours if the block size was the only issue, but would like to know if these disks "should" work.

Are there sources out there for newer firmware?

Thanks again!

Support for the IBM DRHL36L was added in 5.21.03.

The 5200 is the model of the Storage Processor.
The entire array is a 5300 Series.

If the machine is on a contract, emc should provide the newer code if you request it.

so, I have successfully changed the block size to 520, and the disk now shows in navisphere as the correct size (35.458 GB) but still "unformatted". When I attempt to format it in navisphere, I get the error:

"Format disk Enclosure 0 Disk 5 failed. Disk formatting is not supported on this subsystem."

Am I missing something obvious?

unformatted" usually means unsupported by flare. Even though the release notes say that drive is supported at your level, I'd bet that an uprev of the flare would take care of the issue. It may indeed have something to do with drive firmware but in all the cases I've dealt with, the flare uprev corrected the problem.

BTW.. I've had success just throwing in a new drive into the carrier. If you have another sca drive around, Seagate or IBM, that might be worth a try.

Here is the deal on firmware:

CLARiiON/DG OEM'd to quite a few companies. They had their own AViiON line of storage for their servers, SGI, AVID, and others.

Some firmwares (like the ones that start with AV, which I assume is AViiON) are compatible with pure DG/CLARiiON FLARE. I ran a mix of CLARiiON and AV firmware drives in my 5400.

When I moved up to a 4500, I scored drives with 4A20 rev firmware (pure EMC/CLARiiON firmware).

I believe that SGI and AVID firmwares were meant only to run in an SGI or AVID CLARiiON, it was locked to the version of FLARE they ran.

If the block size truly is 520, you might have OEM firmware or worse yet, standard firmware.

I had a company update my firmware for my 5400, the AV** firmware was causing back end loop errors all the time. When they updated it to pure EMC/CLARiiON firmware, the problems went away. Their charge was $10/disk plus shipping, so I did 10 at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back