Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Navigating telnet on Sx2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadmiller

Technical User
Oct 13, 2004
US
I'm new to working on mitel systems and need to make a few changes in the console. I have sucesfully telneted to the console and got to the area i need to change but do not know how to tab over to the next column. Is there any documentation on using the console without having opsmanger working.

By the term "Console" do you mean you're attempting to use the Customer Data Entry (CDE) interface in the "attendant's console" or are you attempting to use a pc with a terminal emulator to access CDE through the Maintenance port?

Also, what are you wanting to do (or change)?

Also, what specific Mitel system are you using? It makes a difference. See anything in the list below that you recognize?

Entrepreneur
SX10
SX20
SX50
SX200
SX200D
SX200EL/ML
SX200_ICP
SX2000

Seems I recall back during the prior millennium that the <TAB> key did not work within certain terminal emulator programs (VT100, VT220, VT420) unless the keyboard definitions were set correctly, however you could synthesize it from the keyboard, one of the old WordStar commands. <Ctrl><H> I think it was for TAB - could be wrong, someone will hopefully correct me.

The CDE keys aren't as well documented as they used to be. Use <Tab> to move forward one field, <Shift> then <Tab> if you want to go back a field (this is reversed if you use the <Esc> 3 code to jump to the end of a form). Also handy to note is that you can use <Ctrl>+J to jump between the CDE form and the CLI line at the bottom.

Similarly when using a laptop computer with small keyboards that do not include the numeric keypad, you can synthesize those common commands that you need. Once inside the form(s) you can hit <CTRL> J followed by typewritten commands such as SEA for search, INS for insert, etc.

The system is a sx2000. I'm trying to telnet directly into the active plane on the main cabinet. I ended up messing around a bit and discovered that i needed to have my terminal type set to vt102 before the tab keys would work.

I think you're on the right track starting with emulator settings.
Just some additional notes for future reference...

On my SX2000 Light and my emulator, tab (control-I) moves in current direction one field and the "enter" key moves to first field of next line in the current direction.

Escape (control-[) followed by tab (control-I) goes to previous field (reverse of current direction).

"Current direction" may be changed by going to bottom of form (sets direction to "backward"), by going to the top of form (sets direction to "forward"), or by executing the "reverse" command (numeric pad "+" or control-j to go to command entry and type "rev"). This switches the current direction from forward to backward or from backward to forward. This change in direction affects tab, esc/tab, and enter movement within the form as well as the direction of searches.

By the way, when I don't have access to the number pad commands (working on a laptop or emulator not configured to use the keypad in application mode), the following number pad alternates provide the essential functionality.

for 1-7, use esc/n, e.g. escape followed by 4 to commit
for PF4 or "-", use esc/q
for "," or "+", use control-j "rev" to reverse (as above)
for 8, use control-j "ins" to insert
for ".", use control-j "sea" to start search

I haven't worried about alternatives for the PF2 (or "/") or PF3 (or "*") to scroll up or down through available options in some form fields.

Another trick I just learned, instead of <Ctrl> J, then "sea", then typing in your search string, you can also just type "go to xx" right from the CLI window and it does the same thing.

Lundah,
I think I understand your suggested "trick".

Am I correct in the assumption that "go to xx" goes to record number xx? It seems that this technique would work well for forms like cal r f, cal r s, cal r al, and mu s k where the option number or key number roughly corresponds to the record number -- if you know the line you want to work on.

I'd expect that the actual search technique would still be needed in forms like tel or mu s a (where nothing in the records being displayed corresponds closely to the record number) or in any form when you want to search based on some value other than the option number or key number (or whatever corresponds to the record number). For example, I've often found myself searching for the first cal r f record that has "normal" setting as a possible unused first reroute option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back