Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Navigating a web page in C# .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvolMonster

Programmer
Aug 14, 2006
GB
Hiya guys

I have a current VB application that will navigate a webpage, populating the fields with data from a database, and clicking the buttons, and grab data from the webpage.

I now need to migrate this functionality to .NET, and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Cheers
DB

Hiya JurkMonkey

Looking at that link, I can create a new form, with web browser controls, and can navigate to a page.

What I need to be able to do is to populate data within this page, and 'click' links.

I've kinda seen a few things to do with this, but I am very new to c# and indeed Visual Studio!

Any advice on where I should be looking to do the above?

Cheers
DB

Do you know what fields you are looking for on each page?

You should be able to take the document itself from the browser control and perform actions on it. You are going to be dealing with unmanaged items (the html document) and working with it directly. You have to be a bit careful when you do this as it can be prone to memory leaks.

CodeProject may also have some good resources on this task.

I will have to find out what the links I need to click are, but when I do, the path through the site will be the same.
Obviously the site could change, and I suppose i'd have to work something out to deal with a link that did exist, but gets changed.

but for now, if I can just click through the site, and maybe identify what fields are on the site, and populate data into the fields, that will get me started!

Cheers guys
DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back