Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

navicli won't let me 'register' a new host

Status
Not open for further replies.

abostick

Technical User
Oct 1, 2004
US
I am trying to add a new host to our SAN. I am using a FC4700 running agent 5.1.0. My Clariion has Access Logix installed and I am trying to create a storagegroup for the new host.

However, the FC4700 must know about the host before I can add it to a storagegroup. The navicli reference guide says I do this with the 'register' command.

When I run 'navicli -h x.x.x.x register' I get:

Error: register command failed
Command not Supported

How am I supposed to add new hosts to the SAN if I cannot add their HBA's to the FC4700? The new host is a linux box. I would try this from a Navisphere console except I do not have one setup. My only access to the FC4700 is through navicli.

BTW, I am running the navicli tools from a management host. No EMC software is installed on the linux side. Just the HBA driver (Emulex) and the card.

Thanks,
Aaron

You are going to want to put the NaviAgent on the host.

Is having the EMC agent on the SAN client the only way to get it registered on the Clariion?

I do not have a copy of NaviAgent for linux and was hoping the Clariion would "autodetect" the client once I plugged it into the SAN switch.

Thanks,
Aaron

The only way to have the clariion auto-detect is by having the agent loaded.

Thanks for the help. I worked around this issue by registering the HBAs in a solaris host and then moving them to a linux host...

Aaron

I am trying to attach a Solaris 8 server with 2 emulex hba's to a Clariion 4700. The first time were successful in making the server a managed host, but we couldnt get it to see both paths. I tried destroying the storage group and rebuilding it in Navisphere. This seemed to work, I could see both paths and all my devices. Thing is, my host is showing up in Navisphere as unmanaged. Any ideas? Or do I just need to start over from the beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back