Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAVCE ate my edb.log file

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioActiveLamb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
Yesterday, Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition misdiagnosed and quarantined the /mdbdata/edb.log file. Because of this the Exchange server immediately had a heart attack and went offline. Apparently, this is a known problem that I didn’t know about. I have since uninstalled NAVCE from the Exchange server and restored the file from quarantine. Our server is protected by NAVMSE, so I’m not too concerned by removing the client software from this server.

Attempting to restart the Exchange Information store resulted in a failure. The system log showed these errors:

MSExchangeIS (325) -515

Error 0xfffffdfd initializing the Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store database.

Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. Error 0xfffffdfd.

Then, there were several “informational” log entries about recovery process and replaying log files. I shut-down all the Exchange services and made a file backup of the entire exchsrvr folder onto another machine. Then, I ran these, in order:

Eseutil /p /ispriv (LOTS of items were fixed, and this took a couple hours)
Eseutil /p /ispub
Eseutil /p /ds

Then, I erased the checkpoint and log files from exchsrvr/mbbdata and exchsrvr/dsadata. Trying to start the service, I got these errors:

Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. Error 0xfffffdfd.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Thank you.

- Jeff

okay... I feel like an idiot. I just realized that my log files are really on C:, not D: with the rest of Exchange. I removed all the logs and am now successfully running an offline defrag. I'm pretty confident that this will work now.

Thanks for reading this far!
- Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back