Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

navagating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MV740

Technical User
Mar 29, 2007
US
I am not sure if I need to create a script or a button or maybe neither ...
I have two drop downs on a layout with the City and under that a drop down with the Month . How do I create a script that navigates to the other layout that matches the same City and Month?

For example

City : SD (drop down)
Month : Dec 06 (drop down)

when month is selected it then goes to other layout that has

City: SD
Month: Dec 06
Day: 1/1/1

You could make a script something like this:

If ( City = "SD" and Month = "Dec 06" )
Go To Layout ["Layout A"]
Else
Go To Layout [ "Layout B"]
End If

One of the problems is that you need something to trigger the script to run. Based on your question I think you will want it to run whenever someone chooses either a Month or City, but scripts only run when:

1. A button is pushed.
2. Initiated by another script.
3. The database file first loads.
4. Initiated by 3rd party plug-in.

I'm betting none of these trigger methods are exactly what you are looking for. Perhaps you can give us a wider view of your situation and maybe we can suggest an alternative way to accomplish the same ultimate task.

-Striker

Thanks for responding. The gist of what I am doing is organizing phone bills. The first field is the phone Vendors (verizon, AT&T, etc) which is a drop down. The second field is a drop down with the account #. I have made a conditional value so when a certain vendor is selected, only those account #'s appear. The next feild is the City. When the account # is selected then that City name comes up. ( Do you have suggestions how to create this?)

Lastly, there is a drop down edit box for Month (which is July 06 to Feb 07). All this is being done is layout 2 but the info is being pulled from layout 1.

I want to make it so when City and Month are selected, it will go to the more specific bill info (recoord) in layout 3. I was hoping that I could make a script that reads the City and Month in layout 2 that goes to a specific record in layout 3 that has the same City and Month.

Example:

Layout 1 record 1

Vendor AT&T
Account# 805 444 - 5555
Location Santa Barbara

------------------------------------------
Layout 2

Vendor : AT&T (drop down)
Account # 805 444-5555 (drop down)
City: Santa Barbara
Month : Jan 07 (drop down)

Once this is selected out go to layout 3