Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV2004 Common Client Log Viewer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jal999

MIS
Oct 5, 2004
US
I am using Norton AntiVirus 2004 on Windows XP Home.

From the "Reports" page, when I try to view the "Quarantined Items" - no problem. But when I try to view the "Activity Log", I get what seems to be a Microsoft error box with the message "Common Client Log Viewer has encountered a problem and needs to close", followed by the option to send a report to Microsoft.

In the error signature, the AppName is cclgview.exe v2.1.0.610 and the ModName is kernel32.dll ModVer 5.1.2600.0, Offset 00014a5a.

As a result, I cannot see the list of viruses, adware, spyware that Norton is fixing, or not (as the case may be).

Do you have all the recent program updates via Live Update? Do you have the most up to date version of LiveUpdate?

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

The log may simply be too big. You might reinstall Norton, that should empty it.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

That could be a possibility as well - size. I know that on my home computer, for a problem that I fixed elsewise, I found a norton page that had registry values that creates a log for basically every download/file exchange over the internet, or at least it seems as such. It was for trying to pinpoint my problem - but got it pinpointed otherwise. Anyway, according to their website, they said once finished with running the log files, to run their other registry edit to stop the logs altogether. I'd be incredibly happy if I could find that exact web page again, within their site, or either find the exact registry entry from other means to fix it. So while we're on that idea, anyone know what I am talking about, and if so, the address for the the particular web page and/or the exact registry change it makes? [smile] In the mean time, I've just been going and deleting the log files ever so often - the naming of the files alludes me at the moment, but they are saved in txt format.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

It is possible to delete the AVApp.log. First from the run box type services.msc. When you see the service manager pop up look for Symantec Event Manager. Right click on it and click Stop. Now navigate to the applications directory: example C:\Program Files\Norton Antivirus. Now delete the AVApp.log. Go back to the Service Manager and Restart Syamantec Event Manager.
Nortons will regenerate the log file once the Event Manager is started again.

See if you can open the Application Activities in your activity viewer.

I hope this helps
Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back