Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nav pushes down right column in Firefox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpln

Technical User
Feb 23, 2005
GB
I downloaded the free css template, 'Artifiical Intellience' from
The problem is when I add more items to the left menu navigation - In Firefox, it pushes the right column boxes down in line with the bottom of the left navigation. IE6 is fine.

Can anyone help? Please let me know if you need me to copy the css from the solucija site.

Thanks in advance.

The problem is that not all web-browsers were created equally. Specifically, IE6 and below don't really conform to the W3C standards, while firefox on the other hand is said to one of the most standards-compliant browsers out there. Because of the fact that Microsoft kind of invented their own version of the wheel with earlier editions of IE, not all of your IE CSS will work in Firefox. When targeting multiple browsers, many developers prefer to target Firefox first and non-compliant browsers such as IE last; development can go a lot quicker this way. As far as you problem specifically, it is impossible to tell you how to fix it without knowing what you are doing. Try posting the question CSS in here. You will get a better response that way. Also, there are many good resources on the net about this. You should google "firefox dom" and "firefox css" and read up.

Kevin Davie
Consultant
Sogeti USA

The template is not really designed in a best way. It looks great, but does not allow many changes. I suggest you alter it in the following way:

1. Move opening <div id="left"> to before the navigation (closing of this div should remain where it is.
2. On the .box, instead of float: left; give it clear: left;. Since box is a class, I expect it is reused a couple of times. Maybe you should add an id to that specific box and manipulate the id if you notice that changing the .box class interferes with other boxes on the page.

That works brilliantly Vragabond.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at the code. I am extremely grateful.

I've put two pages online(works in progress)at On the second page, 'The Practice' I have added 4 more menu items to the orignal 3 in the side nav. In IE when you scroll over them they resize and the white divider line vanishes. Any ideas why it would do this? It works correctly in Firefox.

Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back