Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV Corporate 8 Installation Issue (OS detection)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix50

ISP
Jul 10, 2003
GB
We are instalaling NAV Corp 8 on a Dell Server, Win2k SP4, IE6(SP1) on to an NTFS volume (C:\Program Files\...).

When we run the AV rollout, the server appears in the list of discovered systems.

Great, no problem so far. However, the next screen (which is a kind of summary screen) shows the detected OS as "Windows NT 4 SP0"

This is obviously wrong, as we have found out in the past when installing it on other servers - of course the imstaller copied across the NT4 files and the whole system BSOD'd on startup..

What's wrong with the installer? Why wont it recognise Windows 2000 SP4?

This is exactly the problem I am having with Symantec AV. The only difference is that my server is a compaq proliant W2k SP3. I have tried several different install methods and every time the OS is detected as NT4 SP0 !!!
I can't find any help on the Symantec site. Can someone please help?

Will.

I am also having this problem. My server is p4 based. W2K sp4. Same as above.

I've installed NAV 8.0 on many servers with rollouts to win2k and NT. All with service pack 3 tho. works like a charm and very slick.

When you installed sp4 did you by chance archive the old? You may want to try removing the full norton package. Also, remove sp4 from the server and one workstation, reinstall sp3 on both, reinstall the norton package and try the rollout again.

Norton corporate seems to be suffering quite a bit lately and I don't trust it as much as I used to. They have caused problems with 2000 server locking up (hence the patch) and a bunch of other issues.

Let me know what happens or what you find out... I have 2 more norton 8.0 upgrades coming up in 2 weeks on servers running sp4. Would like to know if SP4 is the problem...

Good luck

~ The day I think I know it all, i'm changing careers ~

Hi All,
The problem is not just with SP4 as my case demonstrates. What Karmic describes would probably fix the issue OK, ie. rolling back service packs etc. The problem I have (and I suspect some of the others) is that I can't just start uninstalling stuff just to get anti-virus onto the machine. I would have to verify by regression testing that this wouldn't cause problems in my important apps. I don't have the time or the maintenance slots free to do this.
Symantec should consider this stuff when they claim that this is a 'corporate' product. They should remember that the last thing sysadmins want to worry about is the AV protection so they should make their product slick and reliable. My experience is that this is the case only 90% of the time (I have had this problem more than once now, all on SP3) - not good enough.
Anyway, I've installed AVG just to give the servers some kind of protection until I can get to the root of the problem.
Cheers,
Will.

Thought I'd post an update....I took a risk - albeit a huge one, after a Symantec representative told me to ignore what the Installer detects and continue the rollout anyway.

So I found a Win2003 box that was relatively unimportant (!) and the installer recognised Win NT4 SP0, but I continued regardless...and it worked with no problems.

I'm still no closer to figuring out what the original problems is/was however, and I'm still not risking rolling out on our critical systems until I get some assurances from "you know who".

Phoenix50, thanks for the update AND having the nerve to acutally do the test [lol].

I agree a LOT with dentarthurdent, this is a real screw up from Symantec. So many products call themselves 'enterprise class' but really aren't.

With security patches/service packs/new virus issues/ happening almost daily, we all need providers to do a much better job on this stuff.

=============
Mens et Manus
=============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back