Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV CE Clients loading from multiple servers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlm9802

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2000
US
The problem we are having is:

We have clients loading from multiple servers to reduce the load on each server.
but within a day, all clients are pointing back to the master parent server bogging it down horribly. Is there any way to make them point to a specific parent server and not just the master parent server?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

I believe you can control your clients with the grc.dat file. Look in your NAV CE implementation guide on the uses of the grc.dat file. I've only just begun myself with trying to figure out how to use the grc.dat file.

Copy the Grc.dat file from the NAV server, which you want managing the individual clients, to the clients. This is accomplished by...
1. Connect to the VPhome share of your Nav Server.
2. Copy the Grc.dat file.
3. Win95 clints - Paste Grc.dat to c:program files\nav3a. Restart Win95 client.
3b. Log on to Win95 client.
3c. Wait about 5-10 minutes and check your SSC console to verify that the client is in the location it is supposed to be. You may have to refresh the screen.
4. WinNT/2k clients - This is a little different. Paste the Grc.dat file to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\norton antivirus corporate edition\7.54a. Restart WinNT/2k client.
4b. Log on to WinNT/2k client.
4c. Wait about 5-10 minutes.... See step 3c.

This should work. I had to do this when replacing our original Nav server with a newer one.

Your other option is to push the installation back to the clients from the second or third installation. Unfortunately, pushing does not work for 95 clients as they are not network objects. Make sure if you choose this option to only perform a few reinstalls at a time. Just in case it doesn't work quite the way it should. In other words, some Win2k clients will bog down after an install or reinstall of Navce. They will need to be rebooted. WinNT I believe will need to be rebooted as well.

Neither option is quick and painless. But they both work. I know. I have had to do both on separate occasions.

Hope this information is useful on getting you where you need to go. Your other option is to use the Symantec knowledgebase articles or contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back