Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV CE 7.6 Live Update Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2003
US
Is is possible to configure NAV CE 7.6 to check for virus definition updates more frequently than once a day. I would like to configure it to check every 4 hours if possible. The VDM will configure the clients to check hourly, but will only check the FTP site once a day max.

If I can't do this within the SSC, does anyone know the command line I would need to execute to trigger the same update process that the SSC calls manually?

If the above isn't possible, will it work to use "Task Scheduler" to run AUPDATE.EXE every 4 hours? In testing this, I did notice that the update attempt doesn't show up in the AMS Log when running AUPDATE.EXE from the command line. Are there any command line switches for AUPDATE.EXE?

Thanks!
DSchroeder

Virus definitions through Live Update are only put in every Thursday (I believe). Non-Thursday updates are applied if there is something important. And lately this hasn't been happening too many times. You can have it check as many times as you want; you'll only get a result every Thursday or rarely on other days.

Aside from that the are daily builds of virus defs put out by Syamantec, accessible through their site.

Checking every four hours would quite honestly be a waste of bandwidth.

J.R.

J.R.,

I realize that the "Standard" updates are only put out weekly, but it's not the "Standard" updates that have me wanting to check more often. The "Special" updates that are put out when a specific threat makes it necessary are the ones that I want to make sure I get ASAP!

Also, interestingly enough, even though an update was released today, my NAV CE Server (7.61.946 / 4.1.0.22) won't download it. It keeps telling me my defs (7/16/03 Rev. 5) are "Up To Date", even though my personal computer (7.60.926 / 4.1.0.15) downloaded (7/23/03 Rev. 16) this morning??? This is a perfect example of why I want to check for updates more often...at some point this new DEF file will become available to my NAV CE Server and I want is downloaded ASAP when it is.

Jrjuiliano is correct that Symantec only provides new updates once a week (I also believe that late Thursday night when new updates are available). However, Symantec does provide updates via thier FTP site almost daily. If you download the all inclusive update file (symcdefsx86.exe), and run it on on your primary CE server, it will then filter down to your clients.

I do agree that having your primary server check every 4 hours is a bit much, which is why I believe Symantec reduced updates via "Liveupdate" to only once a week. You can automate the process with a FTP script kicked off via "task scheduler", say in the middle of the night when bandwidth is available.

yubman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back