Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV 8.0 MSI Install 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2001
US
Symantec Antivirus Corprate Editon 8.0 with Windows 2000 SP3

I've having a little difficulty using Intellimirror, attempting to roll out NAV Client via group policy. Have made the MSI package with the Packager, then adding the MSI package into the Group Policy, Software installation, adding as an assigned package. The following message is encountered. "Add Operation Failed. Unable to extract deploymnet information from that package. Run Validation on the package to ensure the package is correct"

Any ideas? This did work in verison 7.6 (Before Packager was required)

Review the Installer log shows:

SI (s) (98:20): Doing action: DisallowAdvertisedInstall
Action start 15:04:49: DisallowAdvertisedInstall.
This setup cannot be run in advertised mode.
MSI (s) (98:20): Product: Symantec AntiVirus Client -- This setup cannot be run in advertised mode.

Action ended 15:04:49: DisallowAdvertisedInstall. Return value 3.

Any ideas?

Hey, Whisper111. That sounds great, thanks for the information. I'll have to see if I can pull some weight to join that program also.

Just a note for those of you that are trying to push this out via startup/login scripts (expecially startup). You NEED to make sure that you configure the package to NOT run live update at the finish of installation.

If you don't turn that off, then it will just hang and never finish the installation or script.

Hey guyz, just got THE ultimate solution, that really works quickly. My goal was to deploy it using GPO, and it works perfectly, so here we go :

a) You will need the original Symantec Antivirus Client CD, on which you will find the software Symantec Packager. That soft will build a MSI file based on the config you will tell it, like the parent server name (great!) and make it a silent installation using the /qn switch on the MSI.

b) Download the ISScript engine (see link that elazar gave us, big thx btw to you!) and deploy it first using GPO (or install it first with you're batch file)

c) Deploy the msi package with the argument /qn in the batch, or using the GPO.

d) Smile :D

[UPDATE]
First, I the /qb switch must be used instead of /qn, I mistyped it 2 times! Sorry :(

Then, when I did my test, I didn't check about the multi-user problem -> While using the Symantec Packager, the MSI extracts the files into the current directory, and locks the files, so no one can install it until it has ended. So, like described by ntoepfer, I simply used the W execute a batch file using MSI, so here's now my config:

[TEST.BAT] (to see result)
@echo off
echo Installing ISScript...
start /wait SAV1_ISScript.msi /qb
echo.
echo Copying SAV...
start /wait SAV2_CopyIt.msi /qb
echo.
echo Installing Symantec Antivirus Client 8.0.9374
start /wait %temp%\SAV3_SAVSetup.msi /qb
echo.

[SAV2_CopyIt.msi] refers to a batch file, which contains:

@if exist %temp%\SAV3_SAVSetup.msi goto END
@echo Copying Symantec Antivirus Client setup...
@copy \\SERVERNAME\SAV\SAV3_SAVSetup.msi %temp%
:END

Hi Whisper111

In your scrip just copy the GRC.DAT to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5"

also do a "net stop", "net start" to stop and restart the nav service and force the file to be applied before your uninstall runs.

this will force the SSC change to the client before your uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back