Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV 7.6 scans its own isolation directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalecooper

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
DE
Bug or feature?

NAV reported virii on the same PCs again and again but the files it named couldn't be found on those machines.

In the meantime I've found out that NAV finds its own isolation directory and alerts us of the virii contained in there. Shouldn't the program be smart enough to recognize this or at least make note of this in the log file? People get nervous, although the threat is an old one.

I'm with Yizhar. I too think it's a bug. NAVCE should know not to scan it's quaranine folder.

Dump the quarantine folder, doesn't do anything for you, except give you a place to submit problems from. If you already sent up a report or know about the virus, just delete it all and be done with it. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Thanks guys! That's just what I thought, too. The client scanning options are now set to delete infected files, if they can't be cleaned and we cleared the quarantine directories on a number of PCs. I wonder if this is fixed in versions succeeding 7.6?!

This weekend or next, I'll be installing v8x. I'll find out then! [smile] =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Cool, good luck with that. Let us know how it works out, okay? Maybe I'll have to upgrade our installation soon, too...

Cheers
Ralf

Might be a bit longer before I do the upgrade. I have several projects that I can only do on weekends. So the update will probably be pushed back a bit. Nuts!

If it goes as smoothly as my 7.01 to 7.6 upgrade went I'll be a VERY happy camper. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Weekend projects suck! Not only do you totally devote yourself to your job during the week, no, in order to not disrupt service you even have to spend your weekend ;-)
I always try to get around that, by doing stuff like that late in the day or evening during the week.

I agree about weekend projects. But the big advantage is that I have no "big pain" users around! Weekdays I get in the office around 5am so I can take care of anything that needs attention before everyone's day starts. We have people that work till 5:30pm or so, so I usually leave around 5-5:30

I go in Sat. for a few hours anyway, so spending an extra couple aren't that big pain... but some day's I just get out early to do some stuff at home.

It's a lot of hours (self imposed), but I can get pretty much any toys I want, and have a lot of fun. So it all balances out.

=============
Mens et Manus
=============

I see your point. Over here, working more than 5 days a week is still considered an exception, although in IT you can never know what's necessary.

You made me curious: Might I ask what kind of "toys" you were referring to?

Things like Sniffers, protocol analysers, Fluke meters, any cool software or hardware I think will make my life easier. That kind of thing. It sure makes the day go faster and easier when I have the tools I need. Of course I don't abuse it. [smile]

It also helps to have a boss who knows IT and what's involved with it, and is an owner of the company.

For example, I have friends at other shops that have to fight with pointy head bosses, just to get money for backup tapes!

I thought it would be good to add off-site replication to our backup system. Told my boss, he said 'sounds good, make it happen' $10K later it was done. No silly questions, no second guessing its need.

=============
Mens et Manus
=============

You know, maybe we should continue our exchange by e-mail? I find it very interesting to talk about these things with someone so far away but in an obviously similar environment. Don't want to post my real address here though because of spam-robots skimming forums for addresses.

Here's one, that's getting a lot of junk already, if you write me there, I'll reply with my company address. How does that sound?

I've not heard of a "fluke meter", too. If my English doesn't let me down, a fluke is something like an error, glitch or mishap, isn't it? :cool:

Sounds good on both counts: Talking about issues and taking this off forum.

Sorry, I don't see the email address you referred to.

You are correct in your definition of a fluke. It's also a fish and some of the best hand held meters there are. go to to see what I mean. They are like the Cisco of handheld meters. [thumbsup2] =============
Mens et Manus
=============

You're right, I forgot to include the address: darkobserver@hotmail.com

Interesting about Fluke, too <s> They even have a German subsidiary.

Let's mail, then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back