Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV 7.5 not supporting remotes????

Status
Not open for further replies.

schultza

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2001
US
I am currently running a NAV 7.5 server. I am testing with 6 remotes that were originally configured to run unmanaged. I set up the NAV 7.5 server and adjusted the .hst file. The server is getting updates regularly and I feel comfortable that process is working fine. On the other hand I am having problems getting my remotes to receive the signature file updates from my server. I copied the grc.dat file from the server and put it on the remotes (my understanding is that will change the configuration of NAV and the remote machines will now be managed). I am trying to change the process of which my team pushes out and manages our virus protection. My testbed consists of 6 remotes and one server (small scale). I need to implement this ASAP to a highly utilized enviroment which consists of 200+ remote workstations and multiple server suites 20+ servers. Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong, or what I am forgeting to do.

Thanks in advance
AL

Sorry no one has gotten back to you on this yet - I'm new to the forum and can sympathize - I posted an issue a week or so ago and have yet to hear anything.

I've never followed the procedure you've mentioned on changing a remote system from un-managed to managed, but from what I remember reading you seem to have handled the main step. Make sure that you are putting the grc.dat file in the proper place - on NT & Win2k systems (possibly 9x as well - I've never tried) it does not go in the program/application folder but under the profule settings - check the Symantec site for details.

You don't mention if you are using the Symantec System Console (SSC) - if so you should see those systems in the list underneath the server you used the grc.dat file from. If they are in the list, they have successfully been changed to managed, and I would review the update policy being used to push the updates out from that server.

If they are not in the list, then they are still unmanaged, and as such will not be receving updates from your server. In the past I've removed and reinstalled a NAV client to change it to managed, which is a bit of a cop-out, but it does work. Can't argue with success.....

Hope that helps,

Chad D. Stiller, MCSE
Ramcom Technology
cds@ramcom.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back